Help with wood type selection

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

KP

Folks -

As a low-volume, strictly-hobbyist pen turner, I'm finding that I'm having a hard time picking a wood type for a pen which I hope will be truly spectacular. It is for a colleague to whom I owe a great deal. I've been through my stash of blanks and my wood collection and while there's a lot of nice stuff there, I'm just not finding one that really comes up to the level I'm looking for in this particular pen.

I have already gotten the kit - which was a really difficult selection in itself. I went with the Berea Streamline American, as I liked the way it has less metal and more wood showing. At the moment I'm planning rollerball, but am still considering fountain (bought both kits). The plating will have to be titanium gold because I'm planning to use Berea's special finial & initials system, and the initials are in gold. I think it'd look odd to use gold initials with a platinum pen.

So - who's got some suggestions for a really special wood type to use with a streamline american gold pen? Whatever wood type I settle on, I plan to get at least two blanks so I can have a practice run at it.

Vendor suggestions would also be appreciated, although I'd thought that I'd try Arizona Silhouette given his reputation hereabouts. Also, he has Streamline american kits on special this week, so I might get another couple just in case....

Many thanks from someone who's churned this decision around for way too long -

Ken in North Granby, CT

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

Ken,
Would you like a darker wood or something really different?
E-mail me your address.[;)]

mrcook4570

What are the interests or background of your colleague? Is he/she a history buff? Religious? Have roots in another country? The answers to these questions could lead you to a wood that would have a special meaning to the recipient.

KP

Folks, I appreciate the fast replies.

Russ, I too am a huge fan of burls. I just wasn't sure which one(s) to go with that'd look good with the Ti gold. I am unfortunately not blessed with much sense of color. When one of my pens comes out really well WRT colors, it's pretty much an accident.

Ron, I looked at your site, very nice, spectacular pens. I made a copy of the tutorial you posted - I think something like that "morning after" may be the ticket. I think it's the curves that really appeal to me.

Stan, that's a good thought, but I couldn't come up with anything. Is there any wood special to the legal profession?

Ken

redfishsc

Legal profession? Yes. Walnut. Most judges' gavels are walnut, at least what I've seen, though I've seen some mahogany. Not that there is anything particulary symbolic of walnut and the legal profession, just seems that walnut is the gavel wood of choice.

If she happens to be a prosecutor, canarywood would be appropriate if she has a reputation of getting witnesses to "sing like a canary". I have a friend that has this reputation, he's THE prosecutor in the area. He could convince YOU that you're the guy that killed Elvis.

A tight walnut burl, however, would look SWEET with ti-gold.

I have some nice curly walnut if you are interested, but no burl.

cozee

Originally posted by redfishsc
<br /> I have a friend that has this reputation, he's THE prosecutor in the area. He could convince YOU that you're the guy that killed Elvis.

Not me! I, along with others know that Elvis runs a Burger King in Cleveland!!!

Joking aside, I have the same problem with selecting a certain wood for a project. If I had the kits on hand I could easily turn all my stash without thinking twice and yet still not be happy with my selections and pairings. My wife says that the artisit in me makes me to much the perfectionist.

JimGo

I agree with the others, there are a LOT of good choices. To the best of my knowledge, there isn't one particular tree that's special to attorneys. Walnut is probably the wood-of-choice for gavels merely because it's hard and prevalent, and it's dark color looks more imposing than an Ash gavel would! [:D] What kind of law does she practice? Does she have any hobbies that might tie in with your wood or other material selection? Does she like to travel or have a favorite vacation spot? Is there a particular tree that grew on her parent's property that she remembers (e.g., tied a tire swing to it, etc.)? Is she religious?

Absent other guidance, some woods I'd consider:
1) Amboyna Burl
2) Cocobolo
3) Zircote
4) Lignum Vitae
5) Malee Burl
6) Pink Ivory
7) Olive Wood (e.g., Russian Olive Burl, Bethlehem Olive, etc.)

These all make beautiful pens, and look good with a gold kit. If you're stuck, I have some highly figured Cocobolo and Zircote, and some Lignum Vitae too.

Another thing you might consider is turning something out of Lucite or another synthetic material that has her favorite color(s) in it. For example, if she likes green, the Chocolate Mint lucite that Pipemakers.org sells is beautiful, and the TruStone blanks that CSUSA sells can make great pens too.

Or, if she's a general practice attorney, you could always go with the easy joke and make her a pen out of snake or shark skin! [:D]

kent4Him

If you are truly low volume, depending on your experience, I would shy away from an Amboyna Burl. For that matter, most burls. They can be a little touchy. Cocobolo is a good choice and very forgiving. If you do go with a burl, keep the tool sharp, don't be too aggresive and keep the CA close at hand.

KP

Thanks for all the great suggestions, folks.

I particularly like the canarywood, as to sing like one. This lady isn't a prosecutor, but I watched her make an opposing witness change his entire story - and probably his undershorts as soon as he got off the stand.

I'm thinking of making a laminated blank with ipe (gotta love the toughness metaphor) and canarywood.

I've also got a few selections coming from AS, amboyna burl (may as well see what all the hype is about), desert ironwood, koa. Few others that kinda jumped into my cart as I looked around.

I'll post the finished product (if I dare).

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom