Help with wood ID

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I'm going with Amboyna on the right. I am not familiar with the piece on the left, so I won't comment on it.

Russianwolf

if the one on the right had a spicy smell while turning I'll agree with Narra (Amboyna is the burl form of the same wood)

Left side.... I don't know. any characteristics you can tell us? smell, hardness, etc.

robutacion

Thanks for the reply's. It gives me a start to try to figure out what I have. You can't give a pen away without knowing what you have. I am totally new at this.

I agree but, you can always say that is "FIIK Wood", you would be very correct then...!:eek::wink::biggrin:

Spelling can be lost in translation so, better to put the kids to bed...!:wink::)

Cheers
George

1080Wayne

A good shot of the well sanded end grain is usually the most help in wood identification . Then you can look at this site HobbitHouse Wood ID site , and compare many photos to your samples . As mentioned above , narra has a very characteristic smell . So does walnut . You might enhance the smell by moistening the surface and doing some comparisons if you have known samples of the other woods mentioned .

Top Bottom