Help with Turning Damascus (Koftgari)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizard

I was just wondering if anyone can give me any hints on how to turn Koftgari Damascus. Ordered what I thought was 14 mm diameter rod and ended up with a rod 41 mm in diameter. :eek: So far turning this down to diameter has been a slow process and I've gone through two carbide blades...and..yep lol all three sides of each cutter :redface:. Any help would be appreciated.
Doc :)

Attachments

• Koftgari Damascus_3.jpg
    Koftgari Damascus_3.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 269
  • Koftgari Damascus_2.jpg
    Koftgari Damascus_2.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 261
  • Koftgari Damascus.jpg
    Koftgari Damascus.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 541
  • Koftgari Damascus_1.jpg
    Koftgari Damascus_1.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 360
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Carbide likes to be worked hard. In other words don't take light slow cuts. Go deeper and feed faster and see if that helps. The chips should be a dark straw brown and they will be hot. Flood coolant if your lathe has it.

The other thing carbide doesn't like is interrupted cuts where the bit is in and out of the work that isn't round. I suspect the two different alloys that make up the Damascus behave the same way. There are different grades of carbide and you may need to get different one for that kind of work.

I only played with some made by triw51 once for the first collaborative swap and it was a challenge to cut and get a smooth finish. He might know of where you could find turning advise.

Joe S.

It must be killing you to turn that extra metal off. You could look into a diamond cutter, but I think those are expensive.

Donovan

I got some Damascus from Alabama Damascus. These where in 30x30mm squares. I had a job turning them down. I use a tool brand called "Iscar". As Curly say lots of fluid and a reasonable feed speed will do the trick

Donovan

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Well, you have already been advised on how to turn it. Pretty much how I turn stainless steel. But that stuff isn't cheap and I'm surprised the cost didn't give you a hint to the size. I would have cut the rod down the middle and got two good blanks instead of wasting it in chips.

Also, if you have variable speed on your lathe, then choose the gearing that won't labour your machine when you do the heavy cuts or you may be buying a new vs card too.

CabinetMaker

I hope you are all satisfied with yourselves. This thread just cost me $223! All because somebody mentioned Alabama Damascus and I had to check out the site. Now I have two knife blanks and 6 ear ring blanks on the way. *sigh* I can't wait till they get here!

triw51

Hey Mr. Wizard you might want to make sure the metal is annealed or you might be trying to turn work hardened metal. I know a friend that uses a grinder attachment on his metal lathe to turn damascus. Just my 2 cents

Top Bottom