Help turning bottle stoppers with drill chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PJT

I have been trying to turn threaded bottle stoppers with a drill chuck to hold the Mandel in the head stock end of my lathe.the problem is I can't seem to make it spin true I get a speed wobble . I have even added a draw bar from the MT back to the hand wheel still get a wobble . I not sure what I am doing wrong. Has anybody else had this problem ?
Thanks for any help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KBs Pensnmore

It is quite hard to get the taper in the chuck to sit true, which could be part of the problem. If you have a dial indicator, mount the chuck in the lathe and rotate it by hand to see that it is running true, minor adjustments may be required, take it out and insert in a different position to see if that helps. If you don't, use the tool rest to check it. The further out from the head stock the mandrel is, the more pronounced it will be. Is it possible to get/make a taper mandrel with the correct thread, to bring it in closer?
Check that there is no sawdust or a foreign matter in the lathe taper first, use a piece of clean rag on a dowel to check and clean. Always clean both surfaces before inserting. A plastic taper cleaner is handy to keep around, to clean out previous crud, that is stuck in there.
Kryn

Last edited:

KenV

Check the drill chuck as has been suggested. Drill chucks normally mount on a jacobs taper, the other end from the morse taper, and can be misaligned. Seen that sever times on a drill press.

Adjustment was normally made by removal and resetting or with a rawhide mallet.

Top Bottom