Help turning the Berea Streamline American

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I just received an order from Berea Hardwoods with 5 of the Streamline American Rollerball kits.

I can definitely recommend to anyone purchasing a new pen kit to research the instructions thoroughly. This pen looks great in the pictures, but for some reason I just don't understand the instructions. It gives two options on how to execute the cap section (or what I can only assume would be the cap section) , but the instructions are not clear at all. It mentions trimming the blank from 1 7/8" to the end down to the brass tube for the center band. I attempted to do this, but the only side that was long enough to get 1 7/8" was the main tube.

I finished both tubes and went to press the pen together and now I know for sure I messed something up. It looks completely messed up. I got as far as pressing the center band onto the part of the tube where the tenon was created (as instructed) and it definitely is wrong.

HELP!

Pictures can be added for further understanding.

http://www.bereahardwoods.com/pdf/StrmlineAmerSCRBFP.pdf

Thanks,

Chris Jacobsen
Instagram: Hiramwoodworking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Don Rabchenuk

Method 1

1. Cut the blanks the length of each brass tube giving a little extra length for the facing of the blank after the tubes have been glued in. 2. This method will require cutting a tenon to the depth of the brass tube to accept the center band.

Method 2

1. This method will cut the blank for the cap the size needed at the out set. Therefore, there will be no need for parting the tenon. 2. Cut the blank for the cap 1 7/8

In method one the cap blank is cut to the length of the cap section of the pen and after turning and in my case finishing the pen a tenon needs to be cut the length of the center band (this is where the cap attaches to the pen to cover the nib.)
Or in #two just cut to length in this case cut the cap blank to 1 7/8" and do not cut tenon. In this way be sure to take extra care in sanding as not to round over the end of the blank next to the center band.

bedangerous

This pen seems similar to the Perfect pen as far as the center band will sit on the bare tube so cutting the cap end to 1 7/8" will negate you having to make a tenon down to the tube after gluing a full length blank on the tube. So the latter instructions with a 1 7/8" blank may be easier. Looks like a good pen, you will find your way. If you make a mistake you will learn. Took me awhile to find the right way to make the Perfect Pen kit but it is a nice pen.

Last edited:

magpens

If you can post some pics of your work that would help, please.

I have made dozens of those pens with no problem, but I agree that the instructions are not altogether clear.

its_virgil

Actually, one is not cutting a tenon since the wood is removed all the way to the brass tube. I suppose the brass tube could be the tenon.

Seems a better description would be to part off the wood to expose the brass tube leaving 1 7/8 inches of material on the brass tube. I think method #1 is both easier and more accurate. Several kits require this skill but my favorite is the perfect fit. Not a fan of any of the Americana kits.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Thanks for all the replies. You would think that since I have to read a tape measure every day at work and even come home to do it more that I would be able to read 1 7/8 as opposed to 2 7/8. *♂️. I think I was just tired and still jet lagged from my recent vacation that I just wasn't thinking clearly. I cut the tenon on the wrong one. I will try this kit again soon when I have time and energy to focus properly on it. Thankfully I have two more blanks glued up and ready to go.

Thanks,

Chris Jacobsen

magpens

Turn off the opposite end of the one you did incorrectly. Then glue a contrasting oops ring on both ends and 1-you saved what you have done and 2-you can say you did it on purpose.

It's not a mistake it's a re-design opportunity.

Good idea, Vic !!

Turn off the opposite end of the one you did incorrectly. Then glue a contrasting oops ring on both ends and 1-you saved what you have done and 2-you can say you did it on purpose.

It's not a mistake it's a re-design opportunity.

I am definitely going to do this! Thanks for the idea! I will post pics of the finished product.

Thanks,

Chris Jacobsen

I was able to salvage my bone headed mistake. I took a small piece of paduk and drilled it out and glued it on the end that I mistakenly made the tenon.

Here are some pictures of the finished product. I used the pens plus finish on this. It's Osage Orange with Paduk accent.

530c2dcaf6adebae41978bb713d246d6.jpg
c322011f498575f362d3e7066db660a9.jpg
7b8e385c1100cb4eb8099631dc87e71f.jpg
d99d6655d269f435ed157484af5a2612.jpg

Thanks,

Chris Jacobsen

Top Bottom