Help, tube part way out of blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

I was assembling an Olympia lower barrel this morning and pushed the transmission in to far. I removed the nib and the first whack on transfer punch to drive it out, not a big whack either, drove the tube part way out. I got the transmission out but now have about 1/2" of tube sticking out. I'm afraid to try to push it back in since it seems like a good way to ruin the wood. Anybody got any ideas? The tube was glued in with epoxy and I've never had this happen before.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Gerry - Been there, done that. You've got two options. Use a punch to continue and push the tube all the way out, then reverse roll some sand paper, ream the inside of the blank, sand the tube and re-glue the tube in. My way, however, is to put a dab of medium CA on the exposed tube, then use my arbor press to gently press the tube back in, wiping off any excess with a paper towel. My way is probably the worst, but until I dislodge that horse shoe I continue to rely on dumb luck. BTW, if you use CA do not continue assembly until the CA has aired out for a day. Good luck with this.

alamocdc

Gerry, I've only had this happen once, but I did what Lou suggests, except that I used epoxy. Just be vewy, vewy careful!

Oh, and if you do use CA, just make sure you don't stop part way to check your progress. The CA will set up on you and you'll be stuck in a worse situation. DAMHIKT!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I would just "Press" it back in using epoxy in the other end of the blank.
WHY?
There is a "trail" that the tube made when it came out, like a keyway.
It is easier to clean up epoxy on a finished pen than CA(DAMHIKT)

gerryr

[:(]Well, it didn't work, the blank broke. Fortunately it's a burl, so I glued it back together and we'll see if it shows. I then cut off the tube that was sticking out, cleaned up the end and glued it into the nib end. Guess I'll find out how this remedy works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom