Help with supply choice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

HeatherA

Hello. My husband is wanting to get me some penmaking supplies for Christmas and I am not sure what to tell him to get. The only ones that I can get locally (Alaska) are in a Jet penmaking kit but I can't figure out who makes the mandrel and pen kits or the tools . You can see the kit here http://www.toolpeddler.com/708350.htm
Other than that what one what would you suggest? I hate to get started with a poor product. I have the CSI, Penn State and Berea catalogs but the more I read the more confused I get!

Thanks,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Heather... that kit came free with a lot of the Jet lathes sold... so a price of $125.00 is insane... not only that but the except for the wood, glue and book, the rest of the kit is garbage..
I would suggest that you contact Bill at Arizona Silhouette http://www.arizonasilhouette.com and tell him what you need and are willing to spend.. I am sure he will set you up real nice and he always includes some nice freebie in his orders....
He is a penturner also and very knowledgable about what is going on...
A lot of us buy from him or Ryan at www.Woodturningz.com almost exclusively...
Have fun and remember that pen turning is very addictive... so I hope your husband knows he won't be seeing much of you after the holidays... unless he comes out to the shop... LOL

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Craft Supplies has kits of everything you need to make 5 pens. If you have a lathe the kits are about $70. Or $420 including a Jet Mini lathe and turning tools.

Use this link to their website page

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?search=action&keywords=pen-starter-kit

Fred in NC

Heather: I agree with Tom. Call Bill ( please note his hours of operation are in the EVENING) or Ryan. Both have the best prices and service. Happy penturning!

G

The sevice from the two suppliers already named is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THis is not to dissuade you from using others but I have never had a complaint about Bill and his staff or Ryan,jason or Fritz at woodturningz.
I can't say that about dealing with the companies they sell for dirctly and I won't mention any specifically.(Starts with "B")
The bad part is not everyone can supply everything and sometimes you need to go to the supplier directly.
Add on
If you use the link to BIlls (Arizona Silouhet) site don't pay any attention to the shipping charges,talk to him dirct.

wayneis

I also agre with Tom, that package is not a very good deal. Go to PSI and get your turning tools, Benjim's best is a good line to get started. Then like everyone else said, give Bill a call you won't regret it. You can look at his web site and see what he is suggesting as you are talking about it, that is if you are on DSL or cable or have two telephone lines. And get his vidieo. Thats the best twenty bucks you will ever spend if you are going to get into making pens.

Welcome aboard the IAP

Wayne

HeatherA

Thanks for the help. I have a jet mini and enough tools to get started so I only need the pen making stuff. I will give Bill or Ryan a call.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom