Help with a strange customer request!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ranger175rgr

I woke up this morning to a strange customer request. I have a client that owns a chain of funeral homes and would like me to make a pen that can hold cremains. I know you can buy them on Amazon and other places but I can't seem to find a pen kit. Anyone know of a pen kit that would be available for this?

Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

Never heard of a pen kit for that . It is possible to cast ashes and then treat it as a normal blank , with the exception that a LOT of CA will be needed to fill in holes because the resin will not entirely wet the ash . Have done it on ceremonial campfire ash with Alumilite . End result looked good because there was quite a bit of colour variation from multiple fires over years having been made in the pit . Would not expect that from cremains , but I`ve never seen any .

JohnU

I had a few requests for that over the years and always opted out. Just didn't like the thought of handling others remains mixing in resin and then having to turn some of them away onto the shop floor making the pen. Only other thing I can think of is gluing ashes to a tube and clear casting over them so they are totally encapsulated.

dogcatcher

One of the mini pen kits that uses the shorten Cross refill, and add a secret compartment key chain to the top.

Pen on the nib end, "mini urn" on the clip end. How to combine the 2 kits? I let you figure it out. Or a simple solution, offer the secret compartment key ring as a mini urn.

jttheclockman

As far as a kit you would have to get creative and probably do a kitless pen and then enter it in the Bash this winter.:biggrin:

They sell pens for this and they sell other jewelry pendants as well. I have seen people use the pill kits for this purpose and they do a photo cast on the blank of the member Maybe something you can suggest. Hidden compartment key rings also. Need to think outside the box. I would not cast ashes in a blank. Too weird.

http://www.woodturningz.com/Secret_Pill_Box_Kit

Buy one and reverse engineer it.
www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Uhu-Founta...975632?hash=item1ee90d3490:g:J-YAAOSw6rda6Cu6

Last edited:

Lee58

Woodcraft and possibly Penn State have a pen kit that has an hour glass in the top of the kit. It is clear and hold enough material for 1 minute, might be worth looking at

jttheclockman

I think this gone astray a bit here. The OP is asking for a kit to hold remains and not to make a blank from them. Someone else suggested that. There is nothing wrong making a kit to hold them. They sell them commercially.

Top Bottom