Help with sierra repair

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

triw51

I had a sierra pen returned from a shop because the transmission got pushed in to far (while a customer was looking at it). While the store owner tried to fix it the transmission got shoved more.
Any suggestions on how to get it out? I tried the local hareware store but did not see any bolts with that fine a thread.
Thanks William

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

Sacrifice one pen to make a tool . Grind off the trim ring on the nib end of one that has been scratched or otherwise damaged . That should allow it to be inserted far enough into the barrel to engage the threads . Before doing that , put a 3/8 flat washer on it to give you a surface to work against .

Then , glue a 70 thou long plug into the finial end of all Sierras you subsequently make . That should ensure that you won`t have to use the tool again .

randyrls

Yes; To determine whether you need a spacer or not, Press the finial onto the transmission of the pen. Push it down as far as it will go. Measure against the length of the tube /blank. The overlap portion is the length of the spacer you need.

KenV

Sounds like you do not have the 8.44mm tap that fits the Berea Sierra threads. One time use, it is less expensive to disassemble a less valuable version and use the barrel as a retrieval tool. The lower unit of the Berea Sierra knocks apart with a few whacks.

As I remember the one of the standard tubes will thread with the tap and can be used to "grab" the transmission theads. Have not cut threads for a while and did not keep notes.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have a tool I made to pull those down if you need to borrow it. I also can send you a spare nose cone you can grind down to make your own if you wish. If you grind down one of yours Its from a chrome kit. The hardware stores will not have the right threads as its an 8.4 x.5 special to pen parts.

hard hat

well I made the first version of the removal tool, it is beautiful but the wrong thread size because I thought I remembered correctly... but didn't.
a short break and back to the shop I go.

Top Bottom