Help with Repairing / CA Cracking!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikemac

I've had my first pen returned.. of course, its also the most expensive sale I've made :frown:

The pen (DI Burl) with 3 coats of CA, has developed 5 or 6 significant cracks, with no pattern (ie not along grain, etc)

First, has any one had this happen before? Could it be from mis-treatment? Dropping? Either way, I want to save it, keep the customer happy, but I'm a bit baffled.

1.jpg

2.jpg

2nd, I've managed to disassemble it, (no easy feat, yay me :rolleyes:) and want to refinish it, but its likely going to be smaller than the hardware afterwards. Should I just try building it up with CA again...?

All suggestions/comments greatly appreciated!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I'm far from an expert but I would guess that if you can sand it down and "repair" the spot, you should be able to use ca to "build up" the difference so there is a smooth wood/hardware transition. The randomness of the grain looks as if there could be a good chance for an acceptable repair.

marshall

Was The wood complete dry before you turned? I've seen this happen to pens that the blanks were still green. I have also repaired one with ca build up & that pen is my favorite one.

chriselle

Sand it down. Thin CA to stabilize it a bit and try building it up again.

BUT..

I'll bet you get 50/50 odds (at best) it won't develop cracks again though. If not at the exact same place..somewhere else in the blank.

The dynamic joys of wood.

Rudy Vey

Have you asked the customer how the pen was stored?? Drastic change in the climate may make wood crack. If a wooden pen is left for example in a car it can get very hot during the summer and extremely cold in the winter.
We always give a card with care instruction, that includes tips like not to leave a pen in a car, in the sun etc.
Since you could dis-assemble the pen, I would do what others already said, carefully sand down, fill the cracks and re-finish.

Top Bottom