Help, Ren wax and friction polish question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_l

Does Ren wax work well right over a friction polish? I am wondering how well it would hold up to moderate use.
I am doing a pen turning demo for my local woodturning club and would like to give them a finish that is easy to do. Most of these guys are accomplished turners but many have never turned pens.
I will be showing how to do a BLO/CA finish at a later date.

Thanks,
Mike L

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

Whatever way I finish a pen, just friction polish, CA or BLO/Ca I always use a coat of ren. wax over it and also give it a coat and polish off when I sell a pen.
Helps a lot with finger prints...
Rudy

daledut

I agree, Ren wax is good over anything, but it is not a finish. Don't expect it to shine up your friction polish if it is not already glossy. Ren wax is a protective coating, like Rudy said to keep finger prints off.

mike_l

Thanks guys! That is what I needed to know. I knew I could count on this group for a quick answer. [:)]
For my demo I'll be turning some purple heart which tends to have a really nice, glossy shine when friction polished. The Ren wax should do nicely to protect it.

Mike L

G

Excuse my naivete', but what exactly is REN wax?
Possibly a link?

daledut

Ren wax is Renaissance wax, we type ren wax because we can't spell Renaissance.

I am sure it is available elsewhere but here is the link to where I got mine.

http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Renaissance_%20Wax.htm

paleydp

I've been trying the Ren wax lately. Question(s): Is it me, or does the finish seem to have a different 'feel' to it after using Ren wax? Also, not sure I'm using it right. It seems to take the finish from glossy to more of a satin finish most of the time. Am I doing something wrong?

mike_l

Here is the pen I turned for my demo last night. Purple heart slimline.

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
200482020326_Demo%20pen%20Purple%20Heart.jpg
<br /> 18.94&nbsp;KB

This was for my local woodturning club. I used friction polish followed by a coat of Ren Wax. Came out pretty nice considering I had twenty or so people watching me. It was a lot of fun though!
This was my first pen demo and I would recommend doing a demo to anyone who hasn't already tried it. You get to teach others and you may also learn a few things.

I agree paleydp, it does get more of a satin look and has a different feel to it. The reason I like it is for the protection it provides.

Mike L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom