Help with refill issues please.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbfoto

There are many different threads here about refills and I read alot of them but I'm still confused. I like to turn the Wallstreet II type pens from Woodcraft they use "parker" refills. At some point I bought some (gel I think) refills but dont remember from where. I like the way these write. I would once again like to buy more refills but now I read about "Private reserve" or Schmitte and rollerball ink vs ballpoint ink and now I'm completely confused as to what I need. Can someone clear the air for me?

Thanks,
Tom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
"Parker" type refill that I have been promoting for nearly a year is the Private Reserve 9000. Made by Schmidt, it glides across the paper.

Before I discovered this refill, I was selling "Parker" pens at craft shows, using the gel refills. They were much better than the "stock" refill and still will be preferred by those with a "heavy hand". They write with a broader line.

These will both work well in the Wall Street II, which is actually the sierra style pen, made originally by Berea and sold to Wood Craft.

Hope this helps clear the fog!!

alphageek

Former Moderator
To make things even more confusing Schmidt is referred to in a couple of ways. Heres my personal summary to help things for my customers:

Cross refills:
- Used in most slim, etc type kits.
- Considered a ball point ink.
- Not as "wide" of variation in ink quality as other refills overall
- My personal favorite is the Private reserve, but I occasionally find other brands that are about the same quality.

Parker compatible
- Used in Sierra (and similar), Cigar, "pro-click", and probably other twist kits
- Considered a ball point ink.
- The Private reserve 9000 is by FAR the best one that I've found for this type of kit. However, I have found that there is a few people that still prefer the parker gel, and even a smaller number that like the original parker style.

Capped pen compatible:
- Used in Zen, Jr Gent (and similar), full size Gent and similar, baron and a ton of others (which is why I called it "capped pen compatible"
- Considered a roller ball ink
- Often marked 888 or 5888 and often called a Schmidt refill (which is why the PR9000 by schmidt is so confusing)
- From what I understand the difference between the 888 and 5888 is the 888 is plastic bodied, the 5888 is metal bodied. I don' have enough experience to know if there is significant difference... Both write nice to me.
- Because of the rollerball "needs" a capped pen, not a twist due to exposure to the air more (from what I've been told).

Then you can get into FP ink... and that is best left to someone with WAY more info than I have.

(note - this is all gathered from my experiences/learnings and thus I should not be considered an expert :cool:)

Last edited by a moderator:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Dean says, "Often marked 888 or 5888 and often called a Schmidt refill (which is why the PR9000 by schmidt is so confusing)"

This should not be TOO confusing, Dean.
The 9000 is a "Parker compatible" ballpoint replacement.
The 5888 and 888 are rollerball styles--not ballpoint.

Now the 9000 does say they use rollerball style ink, but if you look at the shape of refills, it kinda narrows down where they can be used.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

PenMan1

Ask Roy, (Oklahoman). He's the expert:)....

Sorry Ed, the temptation was just more than I could handle.

Actually, Ed has given you very good information and IMHO , the Private reserve refills that he sells are the best of the best. Anytime I have a refill (or other product question, for that matter), I e-mail Ed and usually get a very quick response.

OKLAHOMAN

Andy, your perfectly right on ALL accounts.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Especially ......well you know!:wink:

tbfoto

Can I also ask if most people prefer the medieum or fine point in the "cross" style refills. Ed, I see that you carry both so....which do most people like?

Thanks,
Tom

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Medium outsells fine by a good margin.

Black is more popular than blue, again by a good margin.
(This is true of 9000's as well)

carverjoy

Tom
Thanks for asking that question. As new a pen turner, I'm sure there's alot of us out there with the same confusion, but, were afraid to ask. I've just ordered some 9000's as well. There are so many little details in making a quality pen..I sometimes feel like my head's going to explode reading all of this great material! I'm SO GLAD I joined this forum! Joyce

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
True

Medium outsells fine by a good margin.

Black is more popular than blue, again by a good margin.
(This is true of 9000's as well)

Medium point is most popular world wide in ballpoints and always has been...I know because I always preferred fine myself and years ago had trouble even finding them and they still don't get nearly the shelf space at Staples.

Some of my European customers tell me that blue is more popular there but here I've found most people happy with black although if I put in a blue refill no one ever seems to want me to change it.

I'm surprised that no one has seemed to come up with a kit for felt tip which were very popular where I worked with almost as many folks using them as using ballpoints.

tbfoto

A couple years ago I was taking a trip and needed a passport. I got an application from the post office and filled it out. When I turned it back in to the post office they refused to accept it because I had used BLUE ink. For some reason only BLACK ink is accepted by our US postal service. I had to take another application and re do it in black ink.

Tom

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Most all contracts and other such official documents are best signed in Blue. I have been to many real estate closings where the title company insisted on having things signed in blue ink. I have also had a number of big shot corporate types that ask me if they can get blue ink refills for my pens since they are required to sign in blue. The reason...blue shows an original signature. If it is in black, then ones has to examine closely to see if it is an original or a photo copied document. With blue there is little doubt.

IPD_Mrs

Most all contracts and other such official documents are best signed in Blue. I have been to many real estate closings where the title company insisted on having things signed in blue ink. I have also had a number of big shot corporate types that ask me if they can get blue ink refills for my pens since they are required to sign in blue. The reason...blue shows an original signature. If it is in black, then ones has to examine closely to see if it is an original or a photo copied document. With blue there is little doubt.

Good point Curtis - drives me nuts at work when I am checking medical documents and can't tell if I have an original or not because it is signed in black (which our company mandates for some unknown reason).

Linda

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Your company probably mandates black, because photocopiers could not copy blue reliably in the mid 1970's, through to the early 90's. So, many made policies that are now very outdated.

And Curtis, LOOK at those contracts very carefully. I can put a blue signature on any one of several copiers I have that will create a "new original". You won't be able to tell the difference.

This is why many of the new color copiers have the ability to detect currency and will refuse to copy it. The copy would be so good, the Treasury has requested the help of the copier manufacturers to avoid easy counterfeiting.

Like most simple answers to complex questions, using Blue will NOT control forged documents.

sbell111

There are many different threads here about refills and I read alot of them but I'm still confused. I like to turn the Wallstreet II type pens from Woodcraft they use "parker" refills. At some point I bought some (gel I think) refills but dont remember from where. I like the way these write. I would once again like to buy more refills but now I read about "Private reserve" or Schmitte and rollerball ink vs ballpoint ink and now I'm completely confused as to what I need. Can someone clear the air for me?

Thanks,
Tom
If you wish to upgrade your parker-style ballpoint refills to gel, but not all the way to a more expensive mack daddy refill, you might want to consider the refills sold by woodnwhimsies.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Yup

Your company probably mandates black, because photocopiers could not copy blue reliably in the mid 1970's, through to the early 90's. So, many made policies that are now very outdated.

And Curtis, LOOK at those contracts very carefully. I can put a blue signature on any one of several copiers I have that will create a "new original". You won't be able to tell the difference.

This is why many of the new color copiers have the ability to detect currency and will refuse to copy it. The copy would be so good, the Treasury has requested the help of the copier manufacturers to avoid easy counterfeiting.

Like most simple answers to complex questions, using Blue will NOT control forged documents.

Years ago, the B & W copiers would not copy Red and our food bank still make their volunteers use Red ink when filling out vouchers, even though I've showed them that their own copier will indeed copy red just fine.

A really close examination under high magnification can still probably detect whether it is ballpoint pen ink or copier/printer ink on a piece of paper but most folks sure wouldn't be able to see with the naked eye.

I lot of the policies do date back to when certain colors could not be copied -- or could not be faxed. But as Ed said, most of that is in the past and the policies have just not kept up with the times.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Local

That would have been a local thing Curtis. I had a Broker's Licence and sold Real Estate in both NY and PA in the 90's and no one cared what color ink the signatures were in.

BigguyZ

My closing company required that I use blue ink. Too bad the special pen I brought for the occasion had a black refill....

When I was in the note receiving department for a mortgage bank, we had to check for real signatures using the smudge test. Lick your finger, and if it smudges it's original.

ctubbs

I worked in a print shop several years back and learned to look at the back of the sheet using a glancing view. If the sig is original, there will be raised area on the back where the signature is.

Charles

Top Bottom