Help please on FP Kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck B

I have heard a lot of stories from using diferent drill sizes then the one that's supposed to be used, having the cap un-screwing from body, on using a washer to keep cap on, Having bad directions to putting pen together, Having extra washers for cap???

I am doing a FP for a co-worker for a b-day gift. & she doesn't want to spend a lot of money on the pen. I am not charging her for my tim just what it costs me to make the kit. She is a good friend of mine.

So i was thinking of these two types. Please give me guidence on all aspects of doing these pens from drill sizes to get washers to keep caps on,To getting tools for putting it together, Have to turn a tennon on kit. to any info at all that will help me make a nice pen. Even suggest a different kit.

my first kit I was thinking of getting is a
AS, The Baron Gold Titanium Fountain Pen
SKU: BHW-331

Second kit I was thinking of getting is a
CSUSA, RHODIUM GENTLEMENS FOUNTAIN PEN
050-0397

Thanks for your help

Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fbearman

In fountain pens, I have done a number of Barons, as well as Jr. Statesman (CSUSA), and have used the drill bits specified for drilling the blanks. Depending on whether the pen is for a male or a female, I might prefer a Baron or Jr. Gent for a female, while the full Gent or the Baron would be good for a male. The Baron was my first fountain pen that I made, and I had no difficulty with the assembly whatsoever, although there is an update instruction sheet on the Arizona Silhouette site that might make some things more plain (though, like I said, with no experience at all with fountain pens, I had no problem). My wife uses two Barons, and my daughter uses a Jr. Statesman, and both love their pens. For a pocket pen, some people have reported the caps unscrewing in a pocket, and use an O-ring at the threads to prevent this, I believe that it is a #47 O-ring. This hasn't been an issue with any that I have sold, but none of them are pocket users. For me, the Baron is a really nice pen for the dollar, and is simple enough not to detract from a beautiful piece of wood (and this would be the case for the Gent also, but at a higher price). There are no tenons to turn with the Baron, and I don't believe there are with the Gent - very straight forward. I usually put a touch of epoxy in the tube where the fittings go, rather than just rely on a friction fit (at the two couplers and the cap-clip assembly at the tube). An additional consideration, the Baron comes with an ink pump convertor, that is an extra cost item with the Gent, I believe. If they are only going to use cartridges that is a non-issue.

Regards,
Fred Bearman
Port Huron, Michigan

Tea Clipper

The Gentlemans pen would be rather large and heavy for a woman (in general, no flames please), but the Jr. Gent or Baron is a good choice. You may also want to consider the 10k fountain pen from CS as an option too. It's smaller/lightweight and looks good too.

CSUSA 10k Fountain Pen
050-44080

jeffj13

Is the pen for a male or female? Hard to tell from your post. Also, it is expected that the pen will be carried or left on a desk? The Gentleman is a very nice pen, but, imho, too big to carry around. Also, the cap does not post.

I happen to be partial to the Churhill (AS sells it). Decent size, very attractive, posts and can be carried.

jeff

Awoodfan

Personally I like the Baron from Bill at Arizona Silhouette. very easy to turn, the balance is great and the size will fit most anyone.

Ron

In beautiful downtown Ferndale,Mi.

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
20061152844_blk-wte%20revsquare.gif
<br />

gerryr

Since cost seems to be an issue, I would go with the Baron. My everday FP is a sterling silver Baron with one of Anthony's 14K nibs.

Or you might want to look at the new Sedona from AZ Silhouette.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom