Help Please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Papo

I just received a shipment of pen kits and 2 mandrells.The problem is once I installed the brand new mandrells on my lathe they wobble.Question...
Is there any way I can try and straighten them out.I have a mandrell saver on my Tail stock and my lathe is pretty well straight with a max of .004 round out at the head stock.So I know the lathe is not the Issue. I would hate to return these parts and have to wait another couple of weeks.

Thank you for help.........
Be Bless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Penultimate

Hi
How far out is the mandrel? Also, try checking runout at 90 degree increments. Changing the position of the mandrel may cancel out the headstock runout.

RAdams

Banned
does the headstock and tailstock line up perfectly? If not, then that will cause some wiggle.

MobilMan

Install the mandrel & bring the tail stock up real close. Turn the wheel by hand & bring the end to it's highest point. Wobble to the top, then use the side of your hand and bump it down a little. You can get it almost perfectly in align this way. Another thing--you may need to drill the end of the mandrel a little deeper. You do not have to have a 60 deg live center, but the mandrel is not drilled deep enough for the small point to go in without bottoming out. Irregardless what degree of taper the mandrel has, the tailstock point will automatically center itself.

PenMan1

It is really easy to tell if the problem is the taper or the mandrel. Roll the mandrel along a flat and level surface (like a counter top). Regardless of how slight the bend, you will see it as the mandrel rolls. If you see no wobble, the culprit may very well be a dirty taper.

hewunch

Are you getting the mandrel saver past the threads on the mandrel? It has to be on the solid part to keep from wobbling.

DurocShark

I've found in all of my lathes that the morse taper end cannot be simply shoved into the headstock. I put it in loosely then use the tailstock to seat it, holding the mandrel against the live center on the tailstock (in your case, the mandrel saver) as it presses it in.

Top Bottom