Help, please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dlindquist

I'm trying a cross cut blank, for the first time, and I'm tearing big chunks out of it, even though I'm trying to take light cuts. My gouges are sharp. Do I need to increase or decrease the speed? I'm at 1800 now. Any tips greatly appreciated, these blanks were not cheap, and I've ruined 2 already. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

winpooh498

I turn at the fastest speed. I have a Jet VS set on the middle setting and turn it all the way up. Not sure what speed that is but it is faster then 1800.

That would be my suggestion.

dlindquist

Thanks. I'll try that. I bought cross cut Macassar Ebony with some sapwood blanks on ebay. I think they are going to be beautiful, if I can keep from butchering them.

Rmartin

Turn at the highest speed possible, and sharpen your tools. I switched from the gouge and now sharpen my round nosed scrapper between each pen blank.

gwilki

David
You may also want to use either some wood stabilizer or thin CA glue on the blank as you turn it down. I've turned some cross cut box elder and that's all the kept me from killing the blanks.

ldb2000

i have had very good luck with a skew rather then a gouge keep it very sharp and use a light shearing cut and you won't have as much tearout on most tearoutable (is that a word ?) wood but remember a VERY SHARP skew and VERY LIGHT SHEARING cuts

Randy_

Originally posted by winpooh498
<br />I turn at the fastest speed. I have a Jet VS set on the middle setting and turn it all the way up.....

That would be around 2600 RPMs which is the speed I use on my non-VS JET. The next step up for me would be almost 4000 RPMs which is a "BIG" jump!! I've tried that speed a few times and just never felt comfortable there. I probably should practice more at that speed to get comfortable there. It might produce a better result.

Randy_

Originally posted by dlindquist<br />I'm trying a cross cut blank, for the first time, and I'm tearing big chunks out of it, even though I'm trying to take light cuts.....

David: If this is happening when you first start rounding the blank, then it might help to knock off the corners of the blank before mounting it on the lathe. Tablesaw, bandsaw, belt sander.....whatever you have. If it is not happening until you are almost done, you might want to try a little CA to stabalize the wood. Also double check the pieces you are loosing and be sure you have good glue coverage between your blank and your tube.

Although you say you are taking light cuts, everyone's definition varies a little. Try taking even lighter cuts.

dlindquist

See? this is why I come to this forum. You guys Know stuff. Thanks to all who replied. I think the speed was the key. I ramped it up, and tried to be even more careful, and it worked. That cross cut stuff makes really nice patterns. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom