Help please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

joe004

i am very new to pen turning, only having about 5 under my belt so far. My wife wants me to do a few pens for Christmas gifts. I used epoxy to hold the tubes into the blanks the ones with wood blanks held perfect but I had one in acylic that pushed the tubes out when I used the trimmer to square up the ends. What is the best to use on acrylic for gluing the tubes in? Also is there anywhere in central Arkansas to get pen making supplies?

Thanks

Joe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wyone

I use thick CA most of the time. I am normally impatient and want to turn in the same time frame, so the CA helps with that. I make sure always to rough the tube up with some course sandpaper before gluing to give the glue something to bite into.

I am not sure what is close to you, but look for either a Woodcraft or Rockler Woodworking store. Around here they both carry pen kits, although not the best source or selection.

Welcome to the addiction! lol

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do

79spitfire

I find 5 minute epoxy works great. Did perhaps the epoxy not get mixed thoroughly? I've also had good luck with thick CA and then re-gluing with thin after the thick set up, just dab a bit around the ends of the tube. I tried the 'fast' gorilla glue with mixed results. One held fine and the other slipped out.

Ross

I have had good luck with both epoxy and thick ca. Are you scuffing the brass tube with sandpaper? I had a failure with ca before I started doing that.

Mr Vic

Check your tube that pushed out..Did you rough it up before gluing?

Last edited:
I use 5 min epoxy almost exclusively with excellent results. Suggest you insure the steps above are taken AND also be sure to follow mfr's instructions regarding mixing the 2 parts. Normally equal parts of each AND stir THOROUGHLY. Also suggest you wait much more than 5 min before trying to square the ends. I will normally wait overnight.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
"Instant" glue allows you to turn the blanks soon after gluing.

What you CAN do and what you SHOULD do are usually NOT the same.

I did thousands of pens using thick CA and never "roughed up" brass. If the brass felt slippery, I did dump it into Acetone to clean. I also spent 20-30 seconds putting the tube INTO the blank, rotating it, pushing in and out, in short making certain the glue was spread thoroughly, from both ends of the blank.

Then, unless it was a class that had to have the pen that day, the blank sat at least 24 hours to cure. I had fewer than 1% that ever slipped after initiating this practice.

Also realize the "shear strength" of CA or epoxy is NOT great. But, what would make it break loose from the blank?? A SHARP tool, presented properly, will cut the material and should create very little stress on the glue joint. I have come to believe that using a pen mill is a bad idea for many reasons, including the ability for the mill shaft to adhere to the INSIDE of the tube and make it spin, if used before the glue inside the tube has cured completely.

So, if that joint is breaking, it may be your "cutting" technique or the amount of time you allowed it to cure, or the amount you "spread" the glue.

Millions of pens have been made by hand pen makers using CA, epoxy, gorilla glue and others. There is a group of penmakers who claim each of these is the "perfect" adhesive.

Personally, I believe any of them can be "perfect". IF they are applied correctly and allowed to cure and then turned with reasonable technique.

Hope you find your real problem, soon!! It is unlikely that it is the glue.

Ed

Last edited:

joe004

Thanks for all of the info. I did ruogh up the tubes a little and let the epoxy dry over night but when I looked at the tubes they had little epoxy stuck to them. Next time I'll use a more course sand paper and move the tube to hopefully get it spread around better.

Thank you all again

Joe

thewishman

I never rough up tubes (well, not since 2006). If the tube pushed out, can you add more glue and push it back in?

There are a few styles of pens on which the tube length is not critical. You could still use the blank, even if the tube got trimmed a little short.

BSea

What kind of pen making supplies are you looking for? While there aren't any stores, there is a local IAP chapter with several members that live close to you. We can always let you borrow some things, or sell you some of our own personal stock.

joe004

What kind of pen making supplies are you looking for? While there aren't any stores, there is a local IAP chapter with several members that live close to you. We can always let you borrow some things, or sell you some of our own personal stock.[/quot

I'm just looking for pen kits, blanks things like this. Its easy to sit and find things on the computer but I would like to see the various kits in person before i buyy them and pay shipping.

Jim Burr

Banned
If you've only done five...gifts should not be your goal. Please...work on perfecting your skills, then give them away...save your starters as examples for improvement.

joe004

I'll bet his 5 pens are crafted with more care and respect than your internet forum posts. Knock it off, Jim.

To the OP: How tight was the tube in the hole? You might have basically wiped off the epoxy as it was inserted. Just a thought.

They were fairly tight so thats a possibility I never even considered, I have never had trouble with the wooden ones ive turned, I just figured every thing would glue up the same.

Last edited:

joe004

Thank You all again for the great information! After reading these replies and looking through the archives I feel that im starting to get a better understanding. Here are the pens my wife wanted for Christmas presents, while they're not the caliber of pens most of you guys turn out but I'm very pleased with the results.

Attachments

• PC160049.jpg
    PC160049.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 123

nativewooder

My two cents says: You need to put epoxy on the inside of the blank, and also on the outside of the tube. First, go to your Dentist or a Dental shop and ask if they will give you some dental wax. Press each end of the tube into the dental wax and it will keep the glue out of the tube. If you don't learn to keep the glue out of the tube, you might break a pen or two.

Also, there are some very good Vendors here on IAP and they do not sell pens that don't work. No "El Cheapo" kits. One of them has the ability to get kits to me in Florida in 2 days. I didn't have to drive 70 miles to the nearest store and then pay jacked up prices! And the Library will have answers to a lot of your questions when you are taking a break, or are bored. All kinds of things you haven't even thought of yet! You'll learn so much it's scary!:rolleyes:

Pay attention to these guys out in your neighborhood as they have lots of experience and are among the IAP "good" guys from what I have read over the last few years.:wink:

stonepecker

Also an item that works to keep the glue out of the tubes........play dough.
You can get alot of it for a buck at the dollar store.

You work looks very nice. If you are happy with your work, then that is all that matters. You will improve with pratice......we all did.
I tend to use 5 minute epoxy for the time factor. I will have 6 or 8 blanks ready to glue at once and then I will mix the two parts. I take my time in the gluing process and like ED, make very sure that everything is covered. Then I leave it for at least 24 hours.
And if by chance the glue starts to 'thicken'........stop glueing right then. The amount of glue you throw away isn't worth the worry.

Take the advice here and whatever works for you is the best thing for you.
Good luck and best wishes.

Last edited:

bobleibo

Thank You all again for the great information! After reading these replies and looking through the archives I feel that im starting to get a better understanding. Here are the pens my wife wanted for Christmas presents, while they're not the caliber of pens most of you guys turn out but I'm very pleased with the results.

Joe
If those are your first pens, you are off to a great start! Ignore certain people, you should be very proud to give those as gifts. I still have the very first pen I ever made and it is one of my most prized possessions, wouldn't part with it for anything.
Keep in mind, EVERYONE was a beginner at one time so don't sell yourself short, you'll learn something new every time you turn on your lathe just like the rest of us mere mortals. Most of us have an ever-growing box of "mistakes" in the shop. As you have already seen, most people here are happy to pass along any tips they can.
P.M. me your address and I will be happy to send you a bunch of blanks and kits to practice on.
Cheers
Bob

Last edited:

BSea

I'll bet everyone who gets one of those pens will be thrilled. Good job! :good:

79spitfire

Those pens look great! Don't short change yourself. I really like the look of that Buckeye on that workshop pencil.

Top Bottom