Help pick the pen to match these 10mm blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

endacoz

I forget how I got these, but they look cool but I feel can only be complimented well with the right pen kit or other turning project.

They are 10mm and already tubed, no label so not sure what fabric was casted around the tube.

What do you suggest I do with these?
If I cut them I'm afraid it could hurt the fabric?

Thanks IAP family.

Attachments

• 20160201_030312.jpg
    20160201_030312.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 283
  • 20160201_030244.jpg
    20160201_030244.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 214
  • 20160201_030256.jpg
    20160201_030256.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skeleton2014

Looks like a rattlesnake skin design so, was thinking something western themed. If you google "10mm pen kits" you should get a fairly comprehensive list of kits available. I liked the Magnum Bolt Action in gun metal (PSI), Revolver Pen Kit in silver (Woodcraft), and especially the Lever Action Pen Kit in antique brass. The last one is carried by various vendors but I believe it's a Berea kit. A couple of the vendors (Bear Tooth Woods and Wood-N-Whimsies) also had it in a nickel finish, which would be my choice. Whichever kit you pick, I think you'll have to carefully cut the blank to length. Good luck, Jeff

MTViper

Looks like Chantilly lace banks that were sold by PSI. I looked in their catalog and online and didn't see them listed any more. Beartooth Woods has some close to this that are precut for cigar pens. The fabric blanks will cut nicely on a bandsaw. It's better to square the blank with a sander than a pen mill that may pull at the fabric.

Steve

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
What's the length of the tubes? Knowing that, it would be pretty easy to figure out what kit(s) they were made for & if you like that style, you wouldn't have to cut them to fit something else.

You can use the Bushings & Tubes charts, but our app would be even easier. If you don't have the app, just send me a PM with the dimensions & I'll be glad to look it up for you.

endacoz

What's the length of the tubes? Knowing that, it would be pretty easy to figure out what kit(s) they were made for & if you like that style, you wouldn't have to cut them to fit something else.

You can use the Bushings & Tubes charts, but our app would be even easier. If you don't have the app, just send me a PM with the dimensions & I'll be glad to look it up for you.

The tubes over over 5" long

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

The tubes over over 5" long

Thanks,
I believe these were some Oriental Fabric blanks that PSI used to carry. Like Frank (WriteOn) noted, they were meant to be cut to whatever size you needed.

Here's a link to a site with some pens made from these type of blanks that can give you an idea of what they might look like on a finished pen.
Bullet Pens - Fortner Crafts

Top Bottom