help with pencil kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbjwood2000

Just tried my first pencil sunday. also first time making my own center bands. no problem with the pen band. when i got to the pencil, noticed the supplied center goes into both sides of the turned ends. ended up using ca glue to join the pieces together. how does everyone else join the pencils together? thought about grinding down center band to mount homemade on. please helpand thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jwoodwright

Since it's probally plated brass, should be quick and painless to file down while turning on the lathe. Then glue inside your center band. Just use some scrap either side of the center connector...[;)]

jbjwood2000

Thanks for the reply! i am working with the black chrome, do you think its easier turning or grinding them down? nice to see someone from Alaska. i live over in Kodiak. talk to soon>

jwoodwright

Do you have a 1 inch belt sander? If so, use a 1/4" rod and light touch and "grind" away. The connector will spin on the rod and "grind" evenly.

Never Grind Brass on a Grinding Wheel, the Brass will heat up when you use steel again and cause wheel to explode[:(]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom