Help!! Pen kits, bulk, pricing! Sorry so long! - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2017, 12:50 PM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
The only real economies of scale we enjoy in pen making is marketing (maybe some bulk product cost discounts too) - even with a duplicator, we don't save much time when producing multiples of the same pen. The "discount" would reflect a percentage of your customer acquisition costs. That is for you and the buyer to agree upon. And after all of the calculations, one is still stuck with what the buyer is willing to pay. You have the right not to sell, but the buying decides what the product's cash value is.
Actually, I have found that the time savings from making duplicates of the same pen can be fairly substantial. Assume that your setup and tear down (and cleanup) time is pretty much the same whether you're making one of a given model or 10 of that model. Then when you amortize this over a larger batch, it's not hard to achieve time savings in the 25 to 40% range.

Gary
vtgaryw is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-23-2017, 01:50 PM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kburr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasper View Post
The kits you show look like Triton's to me, you should be able to buy them for under $20 in quantity. If it is a Jr Statesman, then a Triton would be an equal quality, lower price alternative. You can get them from Exotic Blanks.

If you are planning to replace the ornamental finial above the clip on the cap, that will be your biggest challenge. For a standard Triton I would price a quantity of 100 at well under $200 each, with the custom logo/finial I would add $50-$75 each, once the casting is set up to manufacture you can buy them for a few cents each, but you may pay several thousand dollars for the initial tooling. Also you should probably provide a wood box for each pen. if you could make the customer happy with the logo engraved on the box instead of pressed into metal on the finial, you would avoid 90% of the headaches this project is going to create.

I do several orders in the 50-100+ range every year, you will develop volume related efficiency. Some suggestions for maintaining quality with volume production:
1. Buy 2-3 drill bits in each of the sizes needed. Keep your bits cool when you are drilling dozens of the same blank, switch to a fresh bit frequently.
2. Get multiple sets of bushings, measure them carefully about every 10 pens. Nothing worse than having 100 turnings completed before you realize that you wore your bushings down after the first 25. I've done that.
3. Start with 10% more kits and 20% more blanks than you need, you will sacrifice a few along the way
Wow, thanks. I purchased one Statesman for a little over $35 yesterday, to turn a sample pen. I will definitely check out the Tritons! Are they similar in quality? What is the difference in the Statesman and the Jr. Stateman other than size?

My significant other, is a machinist so machining/milling the finials won't be a problem.. We hope. I did quote them boxes just in case! However, I didn't think about offering it as an alternative to the finials. I'll be sure to give them that option as well. Although, I dont think it will effect the price any.

I ordered a kit, at the same time, that comes with several drill bits and bushings for the Stateman kit. I'll be sure to get extras! Thank you, for the advice on maintaining quality and efficiency as well! I truly appreciate the help!! I sent an estimate to customer, yesterday. Praying it works out!
The Statesman and Junior Statesman are two different size pens of the same design. A number of pens are available in Jr or full size.
Costs will be different as well as what you should charge for these. Make sure you and your customer are on the same page as to what they want and as to pricing before diving in.
The full size pens use larger tubes, drill bits, bushings, and will need a larger blank.
Good luck!

Last edited by Charlie_W; 06-23-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Charlie_W is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-23-2017, 02:11 PM   #23 (permalink)

Photos: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_W View Post
The Statesman and Junior Statesman are two different size pens of the same design. A number of pens are available in Jr or full size.
Costs will be different as well as what you should charge for these. Make sure you and your customer are on the same page as to what they want and as to pricing before diving in.
The full size pens use larger tubes, drill bits, bushings, and will need a larger blank.
Good luck!
Okay, I figured but wanted to make sure!

A Jr. should still be much wider than a slimline would be, correct? Customer wants wider/fatter blanks. I'm hoping they will be satified with the jr sample, I'm creating. But I have no problem going to full size if that's what they decide they'd like instead. I would have to adjust quote though, obv.

Last edited by Kburr; 06-23-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Kburr is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2017, 04:25 PM   #24 (permalink)

Photos: 49

Yes, a finished Jr. is at least 50% fatter than a slimline.

The market for Jr. sizes is much better than the market for full size.

Full size pens are more like "achievement trophies" or family heirlooms ... not so much functional pens because of their size ... great for pen makers getting artistic !

magpens is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-23-2017, 09:45 PM   #25 (permalink)

Photos: 59

There are a couple of places where you can buy precut pen blanks in lots of 100. However, they are not your fancier types of wood. I have bought Granadillo 3/4 X 3/4 X 5 blanks with some white sap wood for $25.00 a hundred. Or you could get 100 without the sap wood for $29.00.

The place that I buy from also carries Yello Heart for $39.00/100, Mango at $24.90/100, Goncalo Alves Tigerwood at $59.00/100, King Cocobollo at $119.00/100, or Teak at $25.00/100.

Shipping will run about $40.00 for a hundred blanks.

For more information check their web page at: https://www.diamondtropicalhardwoods.com/
eharri446 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads