Help with Nova G3

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

joek30296

I think I know the answer to this but just need your suggestions/confirmation.

I bought a Nova G3 when Woodcraft had them on sale at the end of March. Also bought their brand of 1"-8 insert. Mounted it on my Delta Midi and put a 1/2" HF transfer punch in to check run-out using just the internal jaws, no attached jaws. Run-out was .012. Not pleased with this, I called Woodcraft product support and they were super nice. Guy said we'll just send you another one, no problem. Got it today, went through the same checks, it's better, but still getting .008 run-out.

Here's my questions: Is the problem with the chuck or the inserts?
Should I send both inserts back to WC and order an insert from Teknatool?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Joe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Joe, I don't know how far off the chuck face you took your runout measurement, but I have both a G-3 and a Super Nova 2 both have Tecknatool thread adapters and at 8 inches, No jaws I get .005 on the G3 and .009 on the SN2 These really aren't high precision chucks, and probably would be better if made for the specific spindle thread as part of the main body and not an accessory. If you think that's bad try the Long nose jaws, we measured all 4 of the set and found that the jaws were any where from .008 and .025 thicker. given the way Nova jaws set imagine the runout holding a 1/2 inch dowel sticking out a bit over 24 inches, Seriously there was nearly 3/4 inch runout . I like the holding power of Nova chucks, I love the G3 and have been seriously disappointed with the SN2, I think for the accuracy you are looking for, it would probably require Axminister. I don't own one, primarily due to cost, but unless you are removing a piece and putting it on later, I wouldn't be to disappointed with .008

joek30296

Thanks Ken for your reply. I guess I was just expecting a little more accuracy considering the cost. I played around a little more this evening and was able to get it down to .005 by addding a plastic washer where the chuck mates to the headstock bearing. Still not completely satisfied but I'll keep at it.

Thanks again for your input.

Joe

Top Bottom