Help Needed With Pen Reference Chart

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_

I need some help locating information/measurements for the following CSUSA kits. The two primary pieces of information needed are tube dimensions and bushing dimensions so people who volunteer to help will need either a measuring caliper or a micrometer or both. In a lot of cases I have the bushing measurements; but need tube dimensions. I also would like to have finished dimensions and weights.(if anyone has a digital scale.)

You are welcome to measure up as many kits as you like; but ideally no one needs measure up more than 2 or 3 kits. If every IAP member who owns a caliper were to measure only a single kit, we would have the entire list covered. I'm hoping we can spread the load around so no one individual has to give up a lot of time for the project except me.

Please post here (or email me) indicating a couple of kits you would be willing to measure up. I'll keep track of the offers and assign kits so there will be no duplication of effort.(first come/first serve) I will post the assignments here and email each volunteer a short form detailing the specific information needed for each kit.

TIA for your help.

Note: I am starting with the CSUSA kits because they are the ones for which I have the most complete information. When I get the CSUSA kits as well documented as I can, I plan to post the chart publicly and then move on to the kits of the other other vendors.

Americana Cigar Pen
Americana Cigar Pencil
Americana Classic Pen..........kirkfranks
Americana Duo Pen
Americana Filigree Pen
Americana Pencil
Americana Rollerball
Americana Fountain Pen
Americana Letter Opener
Americana Magnifying Glass

Emperor Rollerba..........Tex@durango
Emperor Fountain Pen..........Tex@durango

European Pen
European Pencil
European Filigree Pen
Classic European Pen
Classic European Pencil
Deco European Pen
Mini European Pen
European Letter Opener

Gentlemen’s Rollerball..........Tex@durango
Gentlemen’s Fountain Pen..........Tex@durango
Jr. Gentlemen’s Ball Point Pen..........Tex@durango
Jr. Gentlemen’s Pencil..........Tex@durango

Havana Ball Point Pen..........hilltopper46
Havana Rollerball Pen..........hilltopper46
Havana Fountain Pen..........hilltopper46
(Little) Havana Fountain Pen

Slimline Pen
Slimline Pencil
Beaded Pen..........kirkfranks
Beaded Pencil
Click Pen
Click Pencil
Father Sing Pen
Father Sing Pencil
Father Sing Desk Pen
KC Twist Pen
Presidential Pen..........hilltopper46
Soft Grip Pen
Soft Grip Pencil

Statesman Rollerball..........Tex@durango
Statesman Fountain Pen..........Tex@durango

Artisan Rollerball
Artisan Fountain Pen..........Tex@durango
Broker Pen
Combination Pen/Pencil
Desk Pen
Desk Pen Holder
Easy Grip
Executive Rollerball/Fountain Pen
10k Fountain Pen
Gold Standard Rollerball/Fountain Pen
Key Ring Pen
Ligero Rollerball
Ligero Fountain Pen
Letter Opener
Letter Opener-Deluxe..........kirkfranks
Mini Key Ring Pen
Mini Pen-Detachable
Mini Pen
Panache Rollerball..........Tex@durango
Patriot Pen..........Tex@durango
Perfume Pen
Pocket Pen
Refrigerator Pen
Toolbox Pencil
Woodworkers Pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />Emperor Rollerball
Emperor Fountain Pen

Gentlemen’s Rollerball
Gentlemen’s Fountain Pen
Gentlemen’s Ball Point Pen
Gentlemen’s Pencil

Statesman Rollerball
Statesman Fountain Pen

Artisan Fountain Pen

Panache Rollerball

Woodworkers Pencil

Randy I'll measure these kits for you. I wasn't aware that they made a gentleman size ball point and pencil, I have only seen the Jr sizes of these. Do you want the Jr. size Gent/Statesman kits as well?

On Edit: I've got all the dimensions but will wait for your form rather than possibly typing everything twice.

kirkfranks

Randy,
I just ordered the some kits and bushings so I will get those for you.
Americana Clasic and Bushings

Beaded Slimline pen. (I didn't order bushings since they were same as regular slimline I am planning to use my Berea bushings. You probably have the CSUSA bushings anyway.)

I didn't see it on you list but I also got the Deluxe Letter Opener and bushings.

I am assuming that you want the weight of just the kit components before assembly?
The weight of the wood/other material would be highly variable.

Randy_

Originally posted by kirkfranks
<br />Randy.....I am assuming that you want the weight of just the kit components before assembly? The weight of the wood/other material would be highly variable.

Thanks Kirk. I'll send you a little form(Excel spreadsheet) in which to post the information. It also has samples of the way I would like to record the bushing data.

The question of pen weights is somewhat controversial. The initial reason I wanted pen weights was to be able to compare our kit pen weights with commercial pens like Sailor and Mont Blanc. Lots of folks felt finished weights weren't of much use because material variation would mean the final weights would vary too. I have decided to record both weights where I can get them; but my preference is still to have finished weights. My thinking is that for "NORMAL" materials, there will not be that much variation (less than most people might notice) for pens made with any of your standard exotic hardwoods. Where someone had a pen made out of balsa wood, ironwood, or one with heavy inlays there would be a special note.

If you can deal with Excel, I will send you a reduced spreadsheet to record your information. For non-Excel folks, I'm going to put together a MS Word form.

Randy_

Originally posted by kirkfranks
<br />.....I didn't see it on you list but I also got the Deluxe Letter Opener and bushings.

I assumed that all of the letter openers were the same; but I see they are not. I will add a few lines to my chart.

Randy_

Originally posted by Texatdurango
<br />
Randy I'll measure these kits for you. I wasn't aware that they made a gentleman size ball point and pencil, I have only seen the Jr sizes of these. Do you want the Jr. size Gent/Statesman kits as well?

On Edit: I've got all the dimensions but will wait for your form rather than possibly typing everything twice.

Thanks, George. You are correct about the ballpoint and pencil, of course. Another example of why it is good to have many sets of eyes looking at the information.

I will set up a form for you and send it this evening.

I can't send attachments by IAP email so might send me your email addy. I think I have it; but it will save me time hunting it up.

Same for Kirk.

Texatdurango

Randy, Put me down for the Patriot as well but remove me from the Wood workers pencil. I have the artists sketch pencil instead (050-5007) and will include it if you need it.

Wow... are me and Kirk the only two not doing shows this weekend? [:D]

hilltopper46

The Presidential pen - small bushing 0.333 and the large is 0.362. Let me say this about that... [:)]

I turned two presidential pens and they were both turned to the bushing and they both appeared underturned at the ends, in other words, they supply bushings that are .333, but the nib and clip end of the presidential are both a few thousands smaller than that.

I can also supply the Havana ball point and the Havana roller ball and fountain pen.

Randy_

Originally posted by hilltopper46
<br />The Presidential pen - small bushing 0.333 and the large is 0.362. Let me say this about that... [:)]

I turned two presidential pens and they were both turned to the bushing and they both appeared underturned at the ends, in other words, they supply bushings that are .333, but the nib and clip end of the presidential are both a few thousands smaller than that.....

That sounds like a good thing to me.....that always leaves a little wood for sanding. Always easier to take off a little more than to add it back on!![:D]

Texatdurango

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />... Do you have a digital scale?

Digital scale, heck we don't need no digital scale, we just eyeball the little suckers and guestimate!

I'm guessing the sketch pencil with a nice amboyna burl turned with a gentle curve slightly proud of bushing to bushing and about 1/2" of lead used up weighs about half as much as a Starbucks Grande Vanilla Latte with just a few sips gone. Of course, that weight is without that little sleeve they use to keep your hands from burning cause I usually just toss them away since real men don't need 'em! But then again, some would say real men don't drink vanilla latte's but that's a different story [:D]

Need anything else weighed? [:)]

Randy_

Originally posted by hilltopper46
<br />The Presidential pen - small bushing 0.333 and the large is 0.362.

Tony: Could I ask you to double-check the measurement on the big bushing, please? I have a bunch of measurements from an ex-CSUSA employee and his figure for the big bushing was 0.387". There are so many ways a measurement can get messed up that there is almost no way to know which one of two conflicting measurements is correct.

Thanks.

Randy_

I have to admit I am a little disappointed more folks haven't volunteered to help. I know there are a lot of people out there with the capability to measure pen hardware and this isn't a project for just my personal benefit......it will be helpful to many in the pencrafting community. I've already had several people request a copy cause they dumped their bushing trays and were trying to sort them out.

Please take a few minutes and measure up a kit or two and send me the numbers so we can get this thing finished up.

Thanks.

GaryMGg

Randy,
I have kits you didn't list so perhaps you have the data already.
Most of the pens you listed I don't have kits for and George took most of what I've got. If you want: Chinese slimlines; Berea (woodcraft branded) and Chinese cigars; Jr. Retro FP and RB; Jr. Statesman RB & FP; and Jr. Emperor FP & RB I could gather that.

Randy_

Thanks Gary.

If the kit isn't on the list, I already have information for it. I'm trying to concentrate on CSUSA right now as I have more information for that company than the others and want to finish it up.

I will put your name on the list as a "future volunteer" and will give you a shout when I start the push on the Berea/AS kits.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom