Help needed with Glacia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

Not in the library yet and didn't get a firm answer searching. Anyone know (or willing to measure) the dimensions on the tube? Length, diameter (OD and ID if you can do it).

Thanks,

Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Super Dave

Hi Ed, I just got some this week. It calls for a 11/32 drill, I thought that was a little sloppy. Length of tube- 2.58 inches ID -0.3175, OD- 0.3375. Is this what u were looking for ?

Dave

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
To explain WHY I picked the "R" Bit:

I measure the OD at .335" (it is my habit to measure every tube before I start a pen, so this was what my first few were)
The 11/32 hole seemed sloppy to me (.3438)
"R" was available at .3390

I use almost all resin blanks, which do not shrink after drilling. Also, I don't feel a need to expect high heat on the pen, so the brass tube should not expand.

IF I were making pens for shows, I would make the hole larger, so there is room for brass expansion and for painting the hole. But, I usually use black chrome, chrome or white tubes, these days---no real need to paint.

So, take your choice, based on how you expect your pens to be treated and what concerns you have about the brass tube expanding. The "R" is a SNUG fit---which may NOT be optimum for a wood that you think MAY shrink, while the tube expands!!

CRACK!!!

FWIW,
Ed

Top Bottom