Help Needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dieter

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in getting into pen turning, what type of chisels would you recommended for this.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

The simple answer is what works best for you. I use a 1/2" gouge, 1" skew for 90% of pen turning. Occasionally, I'll use a 1/2" skew to bring the ends down to a perfect fit with the bushings. I know that a point is a point and it shouldn't make any difference but the smaller skew seems to work better for me on fine cuts.

JimGo

I use a Benjamin's Best oval skew (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lx030.html) and love it (I only use skews and parting/tennoning tools (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lcten.html) for my pen turning). I used to use a rectangular skew, and switching to the oval skew made a big difference. I started with the skew because I had heard that it can be the hardest tool to master, and I figured since I didn't know anything anyway, I may as well start with that one! I didn't find it to be too difficult to learn. If you decide to go the skew route, check out Alan Lacer's skew videos, too - they are very informative.

Dario

For pens, all I am using are the parting tool, roughing gouge and big skew from HarborFreight's 8 pc HSS set. I bought my set 3 years ago and almost all are still full size. The price is right too ($25.00 then) but even at $40.00 it is still a bargain.

All I can say is, I can't make better pens even if I use much more expensive tools. I cannot say the same for bowls though [;)]

jeffj13

I too have the HF set of chisels. I use the roughing gouge and round nose scraper from that set. I also use a Crown detail gouge.

Once I figure out how to use a skew, I might give that a try.

jeff

its_virgil

Learning to use the skew would be the best skill you can acquire for penturning...and other turing also. I use a skew for the entire pen...from beginning to end. And, I start sanding at 320.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by jeffj13
<br />I too have the HF set of chisels. I use the roughing gouge and round nose scraper from that set. I also use a Crown detail gouge.

Once I figure out how to use a skew, I might give that a try.

jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom