Help! Need an adaptor for PSI Large blank drilling chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jontello

I am looking to get an adaptor so I can fit my PSI large blank drilling chuck. I just got my lathe and finished setting it up (jet 1221vs) and realized that the chuck did not fit on the threads. Now I need to get an adaptor and am not sure which one I need. If someone could help me out that would be great.

This is my lathe
Jet 1221VS 12'' x 21'' Variable Speed Wood Lathe | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware

This is the chuck I have
https://www.pennstateind.com/store/CSCPENCHK2.html

Thanks in advance for the help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

That should fit. 1221VS has a 1 x 8 spindle and the chuck is supposed to be 1 x 8. Looks like a PSI incompatibility issue. I have the smaller version of this chuck (although I no longer use it) and it fits just fine.

Last edited:

mecompco

The spec sheet looks like your spindle is 1" with 8 threads per inch, which is what the chuck has. It looks like it should fit as is.

chartle

I looked at both the jet Lathe Manual and the listing for that chuck and they both have 1"x8tpi threads.

It should fit.

mecompco

Are there any burrs on either the spindle or the chuck? I have the exact same chuck, but I had to buy an adapter as my spindle is 1.5" x 8 TPI. It does work very well.

jttheclockman

I am looking to get an adaptor so I can fit my PSI large blank drilling chuck. I just got my lathe and finished setting it up (jet 1221vs) and realized that the chuck did not fit on the threads. Now I need to get an adaptor and am not sure which one I need. If someone could help me out that would be great.

This is my lathe
Jet 1221VS 12'' x 21'' Variable Speed Wood Lathe | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware

This is the chuck I have
https://www.pennstateind.com/store/CSCPENCHK2.html

Thanks in advance for the help

As others have said that should fit just fine. Are you sure you are threading it on properly. If not you need to find out what end is wrong. Do you have other chucks to spin on the lathe and if so see what they are. Maybe there is a burr that is holding the chuck off. Using a different chuck may free it. Or maybe a burr in the pen chuck.

I see Michael types faster than I do.

Last edited:

KenV

Odds are if you got the Jet in the US, in really has a 1 by 8 thread. If you acquired it on the European side, it may have a metric thread. Jet is marketed on both sides of the pond by different firms.

Rockler is supplied by the US firm who imports for the US market.

So did you get it from Rockler?

jttheclockman

I guess it would be a good thing to look where the OP is from:) The metric thing is possible.

Could not find anything stating that Jet makes any different lathes for other countries

Last edited:

Skie_M

Hmmm ... perhaps it would be wise to ask you to grab a micrometer or a set of calipers and measure your spindle size and the chuck's opening size for comparisons ...

As it is, we don't even know if your chuck is bigger or smaller than the spindle!

jttheclockman

I guess it would be a good thing to look where the OP is from:) The metric thing is possible.

Could not find anything stating that Jet makes any different lathes for other countries

We may have a winner I googled this model lathe european and found this.

JET JWL-1221VS Woodturning Lathe | fachshop.eu

and this

Spindle Thread: M33x3,5

Good find. I looked pretty hard too and could not come up with anything. This maybe the case and if so that opens another question as where to get adapter.

magpens

Yes, according to the thread sizes that should work, but it is rather expensive at 32 pounds UK.
You should ask Axminster if it will actually fit on the spindle of the lathe your bought from them.

I recently bought a similar adapter (different sizes) from PSI for $20 US. . I actually had to modify it slightly to make it fit at the large end.
You will notice in the diagram referenced above that the large female end has a portion without any threads.
I had to enlarge the diameter of that portion using my metal-working lathe and lathe tools. ... Just a cautionary note.
The enlargement required was only about 0.030 inch (diameter) but doing the enlargement definitely required a metal-working lathe.

Another thing you will notice when using that adapter ... the effective distance between your penblank chuck and the tailstock will be reduced. . However you have 20" between centers without the adapter so you should be perfectly OK for making pens.

Check for a Jet distributor in Italy, which I think is where you are.

Last edited:

KenV

Rather than adapters etc. Why not just get a Sorby Chuck with the pen jaws (interchangable with nova jars) from the UK

Sorby chuck has a god reputation, availavle with 33 by 3.5 threads and the pen jaws are good (I have a set on a Nova chuck).

Jontello

I ordered an adaptor from the place I ordered the lathe. They were very helpful. But I also went ahead and ordered a chuck. I don't have one yet so thought it's time to get one with the right size threads. I will need it for the upcoming birthday bash. I have a couple things up my sleeves!

Top Bottom