HELP-Mica Pearl Finish Problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fatdawg

I recently purchased and turned a few Mica Pearl blanks. After wet sanding and polishing I noticed some what I'll call pock marks in some of the blanks. It almost looks like there were air bubbles in the blank and left small dimples after my finishing cut. The dimple apears to be smooth bodied, so I don't think it from a tear-out. I always use a fresh sharp skew or EWT for my finishing passes. Does anyone know if there is a way to fix these dimples, or are they better off headed for the scrap bucket?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

They can be fixed. Apply a finish as if it were wood. CA is ideal here, but others can be used as well. If they're bigger then pin holes, fill with CA and let it harden, then turn down. That may even be enough to make it right, without a complete finish.

I've had them caused by chunks of mica being bigger than they should be, sparkles, or other material that pops out when turned. Also air bubbles too... Overly aggressive mixing and no pressure when casting by hand will get you those.

Phunky_2003

I have heard some blow out the small hole with compressed air to get out any sanding dust, then clean with mineral spirits or ca accelerator. Then add a couple coats of a ca finish, they should fill in and not be able to be noticed.

I don't think it could be anything but chipping out. If I round a square blank a little to quickly it will leave divots concave and smooth that you do not thin are deep but end up being quite deep and by the time you are finished shaping your blank they are still there. If they were little pin hole sized holes that would be little air bubbles. I have not seen anything other then those 2 faults.

Fatdawg

Thank You everyone for your replys and tips. I'm going to give the CA Finish a try. I'll try to get some before and after shots to post.

Top Bottom