HELP with Mesa pen kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

triw51

I turned 10 blanks for the Mesa kits. I turned the blanks first then assembled them. When I assembled them the 3rd kit did not fit correctly. It was like the transmission was to long and there was a gap (approx. 1/8") between the bottom of the blank and the front of the pen. I though I had taken to much off when I trimmed the ends of the blank. So put it aside but the same thing happened again. I measured the blanks lenght and it was the same as a new tube out of the bag. I measured the tranmissions and there was just a .01" difference between the one I am using. Any one else have this problem or have any suggestions. Thanks William

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

I don't recall exactly, but does the Mesa assemble like a wall street or sierra where the transmission threads to the front section and the whole thing is inserted into the completed barrel and cap/clip assembly?

It sounds like the transmission is not seating far enough into the upper section. I've had to gently press the transmission into the upper section with my pen press before, but be careful you don't go too far or the two sections will bind and not twist properly and you'll have to figure out how to back it out again.

Last edited:

triw51

I don't recall exactly, but does the Mesa assemble like a wall street or sierra where the transmission threads to the front section and the whole thing is inserted into the completed barrel and cap/clip assembly?

It sounds like the transmission is not seating far enough into the upper section. I've had to gently press the transmission into the upper section with my pen press before, but be careful you don't go too far or the two sections will bind and not twist properly and you'll have to figure out how to back it out again.

Yes it is like a sierra I think mesa is one stores name. I will check the transmission fit tonight. Thank you

Chasper

I think I have had the same problem many times. You have transmission and bottom section assembled and working properly, right? You have the cap section assembled with the blank? And when you push the blank/cap onto the lower section is stops short of going all the way on? If you push hard it still won't go on, but it will be so tight that it takes a strong gorilla to remove it.

What is wrong is that the inside of the cap is too small. Extra thick plating or some other issue is making it too small for the top of the transmission. Disassemble the turned section from the cap, use a dremmel and grinder inside of the cap to enlarge it a bit. My experience is that it takes quite a lot of grinding (2-3 minutes) to get it to fit, but stop and check often so you don't open it up too much. Even better, check the fit before you assemble the turned section, if they don't fit grind them down until they do. Then you won't need to disassemble later.

You could just push it on with a pen press, but you would never get it back off to change the refill.

Last edited:

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I recently had a similar problem with this style pen (different kit name). The inside of the cap was too small. Try the cap from a different set of parts and see if that is the problem. If so you can ream it out as Gerry suggested or contact the supplier and see if they will replace the defective cap.

triw51

I think I have had the same problem many times. You have transmission and bottom section assembled and working properly, right? You have the cap section assembled with the blank? And when you push the blank/cap onto the lower section is stops short of going all the way on? If you push hard it still won't go on, but it will be so tight that it takes a strong gorilla to remove it.

THANK YOU That is exactly what happened I will check that out tonight. I tried the bottom with other tops and they fit fine I never though of the inside of the cap. Wow that sure makes me feel better

Carl Fisher

Once it's in, there should be no reason to remove it. To change the refill you simply unscrew the transmission. So I wouldn't worry so much about it not coming back out.

Top Bottom