Help me select the proper wood for these people...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

I will be heading off to Wake Forest NC soon from Charleston SC, and will be leaving a beloved church behind. I'm going to Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary for my M.Div in Expository Preaching (ie, the Bible, the whole Bible, and nuthin' but the Bible).

Anyhow, short story long, I want to make a nice pen for each of the five ministers we have. Two of the are no-brainers as to what to choose. The other three, I can't figure out.

1) Head pastor--- Ti-gold gent rollerball with bloodwood-- gold representing the purity and holiness of God, the bloodwood representing the blood of Christ.

2) Ass't pastor-- been there for 23 years! Longer than any two of the other pastors added together. He's getting an X-cut Lignum Vitae cigar with black Ti-- a very hard working man, works behind the scenes with little of the fanfare, much like the lignum, used for years unseen as a roller bearing for marine applications.

3) Education Minister. ...??????.... Has a very positive and bold personality. Just being around him makes people cheerful. Seems to like bold colored pens that I've made. Will be a cigar. Can you recommend a wood?

4) Music minister. Will be a cigar, not sure of the wood. He's a big dude and rides a Harley. I was thinking of using a wood that is commonly used in musical instruments like fiddleback maple, but there's got to be another instrumental type wood that is more manly looking. I need some history on it.

5) Children's Minister. She's a great lady but since I don't have kids I don't know much about her. Thinking a classic American twist with a ColorPly since kids=colorful.

We haven't hired a Youth minister since the previous one took an overseas missions position, so I get a break on that one!

Any help on those last three. I'm looking for some heavy symbolism and thoughtfulness.

BTW there aren't any trees on the church property that would make a decent pen... I done scouted them all out.. just oak and some small shrubs.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

I second the BOW. Can be used for the Children's minister also...remember Noah's Ark?

Music related wood are african blackwood, ebony, koa.

redfishsc

Thanks guys. I was considering BOW and haven't rule it out.

The brazilian rosewood sound interesting. I'm sure there's a supplier out there that can hook me up when I need it.

BTW Noah's Ark was made of Gopher wood. Nobody has a clue what Gopher wood was (some folks claim to have a clue but I assure you they likely don't).

What fascinates me is the people that are out there still searching for the old Ark.

I got news for ya people, the Ark became the world's first recycling program! It was recycled quickly, I'd wager, into living structures, firewood, livestock fences, upscale condominiums, spas, and Woodcraft franchises (ok not sure about the last three). I can't prove it Biblically but I can assure you there wasn't much left of that big thing. Free wood for the taking. I bet they took!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Just use any old wood.All of it the same.(Aren't we all equal in the eyes of the Creator?)
The same Guy made all of it.

Sylvanite

Originally posted by redfishsc
<br />I will be heading off to Wake Forest NC soon...
How soon? You probably want to present the pens before leaving, but if you're in Wake Forest beforehand I can help you out with some wood (I live north of Durham).

Head pastor--- Ti-gold gent rollerball with bloodwood-- gold representing the purity and holiness of God, the bloodwood representing the blood of Christ.
I can't beat the symbolism of that.

Ass't pastor-- been there for 23 years! Longer than any two of the other pastors added together. He's getting an X-cut Lignum Vitae cigar with black Ti-- a very hard working man, works behind the scenes with little of the fanfare, much like the lignum, used for years unseen as a roller bearing for marine applications.
Another apt choice. Lignum Vitae has high strength and density - excellent load-bearing attributes. It also has the interesting property that it changes color very quickly on exposure to sunlight. Put Lignum Vitae in a window for a day and it will turn green. You could leave it blonde since the man works in the shadow of others or you could convert the wood by showing it the light.

Education Minister. ...??????.... Has a very positive and bold personality. Just being around him makes people cheerful. Seems to like bold colored pens that I've made. Will be a cigar. Can you recommend a wood?
Purpleheart? It's a bold, cheerful color and purple is traditionally the color of Christ. Kingwood might also interest him. Then again, there's not much that's bolder than blue Buckeye Burl (wish I had some).

Music minister. Will be a cigar, not sure of the wood. He's a big dude and rides a Harley. I was thinking of using a wood that is commonly used in musical instruments like fiddleback maple, but there's got to be another instrumental type wood that is more manly looking. I need some history on it.
If he rides a Harley, then he's probably into black and chrome. Black and White Ebony with chrome finish is quite striking (wish I had some of that too). African Blackwood and Katalox are frequently used in musical instruments as Ebony alternatives.

Children's Minister. She's a great lady but since I don't have kids I don't know much about her. Thinking a classic American twist with a ColorPly since kids=colorful.
I tend to agree that you couldn't go wrong with Olive. It has the symbolism of peace, and the prunings are necessary for the trees to grow. Besides, it's so pretty.

Good luck on the pens and the move,
Eric

thewishman

Originally posted by redfishsc
<br />Thanks guys. I was considering BOW and haven't rule it out.

The brazilian rosewood sound interesting. I'm sure there's a supplier out there that can hook me up when I need it.

BTW Noah's Ark was made of Gopher wood. Nobody has a clue what Gopher wood was (some folks claim to have a clue but I assure you they likely don't).

What fascinates me is the people that are out there still searching for the old Ark.

I got news for ya people, the Ark became the world's first recycling program! It was recycled quickly, I'd wager, into living structures, firewood, livestock fences, upscale condominiums, spas, and Woodcraft franchises (ok not sure about the last three). I can't prove it Biblically but I can assure you there wasn't much left of that big thing. Free wood for the taking. I bet they took!

Firewood was probably the top choice - all of the other wood around at the time was surely wet.[;)]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by leehljp
<br />Eagle hit the nail on the head! [:D]
Don't give me the credit I just had the nerve to write it.
IIRC The premise of the idea came from Indiana Jones and the Holy Grail.
In one scene he had to choose between a number of vessels.He chose a simple wooden one rather than an elborate gold chalice.The reasoning was a man of poor means would have a wooden goblet not some austentacious one.
I liked the idea of that concept.

redfishsc

Thanks all for the replies. Here's what I think I'll do, since you all had some great suggestions.

Education minister--- Kingwood. Great idea! Christ is King of Kings, perfect symbolism.

Music Minister-- blackwood with chrome, perfect idea since blackwood is also used in musical instruments.

Education minster--- Holly, symbolizing the innocense of children (though don't get me wrong, I haven't met a kid yet that had to be TAUGHT how to misbehave, lol).

Thanks for the help all!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom