Help me save this one... - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2017, 12:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Well... I have options now. Used a barrel trimmer sleeve to push out the threaded portion without damage. Guess I'll examine some segmenting options!
mckenziedrums is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-05-2017, 01:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 41

On reassembly after repair, can the clip be positioned so as to cover and hide the majority of the repaired crack ? . Just a thought, because with your blank on that ornate pen kit, I would think that an oops band would really look out of place and appear to be an obvious "kludge". . Just my thoughts.

magpens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-05-2017, 02:35 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 5

I use this on all tubes before assembly. Great at removing glue and adding a slight bevel for assembly. best $3 spent in this addition. A couple passes with my diamond cards made a big difference in how easy it works. Deburrs, chamfers, and cleans out glue with a couple twist.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
More4dan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2017, 02:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

Whew, you guys are busting my chops on the tube. I assure you, the brass was clean! I'm just a bone head and rather than back off and re-align I forced the issue when the gigantic clip was being difficult.

Mal, you might have a point... I was actually going to look at segmenting the top and bottom of the cap though so it wasn't just a random oops band. Even have some left over trustone that could work if I was strategic about how I did it.

What'll likely happen is I'll buy a new blank, some new tubes, and give it another go. First time using this particular kit and wasn't quite in the right frame of mind to be patient with the flip trying to force the whole thing sideways.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

We are not busting your chops!!!!

We are sharing where we have been at some point in the past, and welcoming you to the elite group who have had a failure on a higher end pen.

Fixes for a craft fair cigar just do not work when you up scale your target market.

Welcome aboard. You will not forget this pen!!!
Old 11-05-2017, 04:20 PM   #16 (permalink)

I was smiling when I said (typed) it, no worries. And yes, it is VERY good advice for anyone that didn't know.

Definitely not my first high end screw up, but I haven't cracked a tube in a while. After learning the lesson the hard way I had managed to avoid disaster for quite some time now.

Biggest take away, which is one I should know by now... When you're tired, step away and don't rush.

Plus I was hoping someone would come up with some kind of magic where I could wave a skew chisel at it and the crack would disappear.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:44 PM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 41

We would all like to have fairies with magic wands just dancing on our tailstocks all the time !

magpens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-05-2017, 06:49 PM   #18 (permalink)

I usually make my pens in steps. I will pick all the kits I want to make. I will assign the blank to the kit. I will measure all the blanks, Cut all the blanks... You get the idea. When a pen breaks, blows up, cracks, etc. It goes into the baggie I have put the pen kit, and blank in, and I set it aside and move on to the next one. Why? Because this prevents me from trying to "Salvage" a pen. Which usually takes 10 times as long, and never turns out right. Buy a new blank, or message me your address, and I will send you one that will look awesome with that pen, at no charge. Why would I send a stranger a blank? Because I am that kind of person. Anyway, instead of always knowing it is wrong, take it apart, and make it right. You will be much prouder of it, when it's perfect.

Just my two cents.

A wise man recently told me, when your turning, and all your attention is on the lathe, things usually turn out great, BUT, the second your distracted by something else, **** starts exploding. This was wise advise.

Last edited by Beautys_Beast; 11-05-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Beautys_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-05-2017, 07:41 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautys_Beast View Post
I usually make my pens in steps.
Oh yea, that's the best way to be productive for sure. USUALLY I've got about 7-10 pens in the works but after being in production mode for so long for a few shows I did, I was just turning one for my own sake. Nice to just do one for the sake of doing one rather than having the need to crank out 20, 30 or 100.

Appreciate the offer, but I've got more than enough blank material here to find one for this guy. After digging through a few kits I think I'm going to repair these blanks, put them on a Majestic Jr kit that will be sold as a "2nd" and then get another trustone blank to finish up the GPV Jr kit properly. Nice to have a budget friendly fancy pen in the inventory to get attention and I have good luck selling pens that are marketed as "not quite perfect."
Old 11-06-2017, 04:17 PM   #20 (permalink)

Of course it is entirely up to you about selling your pen as "seconds" but I would never do that. No matter what my cost and/or time I have always made sure every pen, seam ripper, etc. is perfect and up to MY standards before I let anyone see it. I triple-check everything before I put it up for sale or as gifts. I don't want someone to show off my "less than perfect" pen and let potential customers or friends see mistakes I have made. That's just me but that is what I do because of course, I have made more than a few mistakes myself.
Good luck in whatever you choose to do.
Tim.
Logged on members can hide ads