Help me save this one... - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2017, 08:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Help me save this one...

So I recently grabbed this Jr. Palace vines kit and the beautiful trustone blank from members here. They looked like they belonged together so yesterday I set to making it happen. Drilled perfectly, turned decently, and mostly assembled ok. Pressed the clip on the cap last and that huge clip did not want to allow for good alignment... Got it where I thought it was ok and then *crack*. Four letter words were used, copiously.

So now I've got a crack running vertically next to the clip that cuts sideways after a bit. My thinking is I try to get the clip piece off, then attempt to break the piece off clean and glue it back. I suppose I could try to get some CA glue into the crack but this may be cleaner. Ugh
mckenziedrums is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-05-2017, 08:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Up close crack photo. Well that and my grimy finger prints...
Old 11-05-2017, 09:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 74

Is it really worth saving? The blank can be replaced. Disassemble and start over. This is not what you wanted to hear so you can move on to the next suggestion. Its all good. The crack will always be there. Pen barrels that break into pieces while on the lathe or during assembly are not jigsaw puzzles but trash. Good luck. This has happened to most all of us.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
www.RedRiverPens.com/articles (pen stuff I've written)
its_virgil is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2017, 09:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Bummer! Without disassembling the pen, the only thing I can think of is medium or thick CA. If you have any scraps of the blank left, you could make some "sawdust" from them and add that to the CA to make sure that the brass tube does not show through. It looks like there may have been a bit of glue inside the tube or perhaps the tube had been bent oval just a bit prior to gluing it into the blank. Good luck.

Jim Smith

Last edited by Jim Smith; 11-05-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Jim Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-05-2017, 09:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Tube was fine... But I think it went a little sideways with that huge clip. Note to self, turn these more straight when using this kit.

I dunno about trash... It's not ideal but I think I've salvaged worse. It's really the disassembly that scares me since the plastic pieces won't really do well in the effort. The clip piece I should be able to get out safely... In theory.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 74

For a proper repair the cap has to be taken apart and repaired on the lathe. CA will get on the surface of the cap and will need to be sanded and refinished. It is almost impossible to fill the crack with CA (with or without some type of filler) and not get CA where you do not want it. Just saying. There are just no shortcuts. Again, not what you want to hear.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
www.RedRiverPens.com/articles (pen stuff I've written)
its_virgil is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-05-2017, 10:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

If you are going to keep it, do what you wish.

If you are going to sell it, follow Don's advise (as painful to the ego and pocket book as it may be)

If you are going to gift it -- think about it some more (I would follow Don's recommendation).
KenV is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-05-2017, 10:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 4

If you plan to disassemble, you could add contrast bands. It could either be a solid band or a thin piece of aluminum and another piece of the blank to give it a silver colored ring.

After pressing many fittings together in my years (not only pens), this is what I do to prevent the cracks in pens.
I make a dowel and wrap with sandpaper. Put it on the lathe and sand the interior of the drilled hole. This slightly enlarges the whole to give room for expansion of the tube when the parts are pressed in.

I use epoxy to adhere the tube. It has some flexibility as compared to CA and will allow some give when the parts are pressed in.

I also use a round file to clean the interior of the tube and give it a slight taper at the opening. The file will remove any epoxy that might have gotten inside the tube. Even a very thin film will cause resistance. It also removes the high spots and makes a more uniform surface. The taper helps with alignment and removes the hard edge that can catch the part being inserted.

Lastly, I spray a little silicone on a towel and wipe the interior of the tube for some lubrication.

This is what I've used and it's worked well for myself. It might seem like a lot of extra work, but when compared to the time it takes to turn and finish the barrels, it was worth it to me to reduce the possibility of loosing a blank. Especially an expensive or special blank that is irreplaceable.

Last edited by Terredax; 11-05-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Terredax is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-05-2017, 10:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Amid the despair and gloom I might add, other than the crack, great looking pen!
Talltim is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-05-2017, 11:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

I've actually enjoyed the various responses. The tube was properly cleaned on the inside, though I didn't chamfer it. It was the clip that kept it from going on straight really. Definitely will chamfer for these bigger clips going forward. I've not cracked a pen tube in quite some time because I am pretty meticulous usually. Last pen of the night and I was tired... Should have walked away.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads