• photo 1(1).JPG
    photo 1(1).JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 193
  • photo 2(1).JPG
    photo 2(1).JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 190
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

Absolutely box elder. Be aware that the brilliant red will fade with time. Everyone hopes it won't, but unless you keep it in a drawer, it's going to fade.

hcpens

Box elder (Acer negundo) also known as ashleaf maple, manitoba maple, flame box elder and also flame elder tree

A relatively soft hardwood with a specific gravity of 0.45

Workability : Glues, sands and finishes well

Description/ Identification : Box elder is a species of maple that usually has creamy white close grained wood, but after the ambrosia beetle infects the tree, and the fungi follow, a very unique thing starts to happen. The wood will eventually turn into a mix of red, orange and light yellows, producing a red sunburst pattern in the endgrain. Very similar to the way silver and black show in endgrain of ambrosia maple. Box elder is a very easy wood to work with and is always an eye catcher.

Jim Burr

Banned
Absolutely box elder. Be aware that the brilliant red will fade with time. Everyone hopes it won't, but unless you keep it in a drawer, it's going to fade.

Is there anything to keep the colors from fading (besides hiding it in a drawer)?

Nothing that I've ever heard of and it's discussed all the time on WTU. Someone is always trying a new finish or combination for BEB and purple heart.

walshjp17

A member of one of the local woodturning clubs dyes the red areas to make sure they stay vibrant. He uses analine dyes. He's used both powdered and liquid with equally successful results.

epigolucky

Is there anything to keep the colors from fading (besides hiding it in a drawer)?

Nothing that I've ever heard of and it's discussed all the time on WTU. Someone is always trying a new finish or combination for BEB and purple heart.

So, the red color is caused by fungus, which as the fungus dies off the color begins to face. I wonder if there is a way to preserve or stabilize the fungus to prevent the fading? I might touch base with one of the microbiologists I work with to see if they are aware of anything that can help hold the color. Should be an interesting conversation tomorrow :laugh:

Jim Burr

Banned

So, the red color is caused by fungus, which as the fungus dies off the color begins to face. I wonder if there is a way to preserve or stabilize the fungus to prevent the fading? I might touch base with one of the microbiologists I work with to see if they are aware of anything that can help hold the color. Should be an interesting conversation tomorrow :laugh:

Not yet Adam, not so much a fungus but a reaction to excrement...much like ambrosia...enzymes have a weird way of working. If the guys with MD behind their names have an answer...i'd buy it!

Top Bottom