Help me find a vendor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MorganGrafixx

I got a pen order for a wood that I've not used in a VERY long time. I THOUGHT it was called Lacewood, but apparently it goes by a different name or goes by another alias. I've looked through about 10 different wood suppliers and the closest thing I can find is at woodcraft. They have Lacewood boards....no pen blanks. I would get the boards and cut them down but the thickest they have is 3/4". Not wide enough for a Jr. Gent II. I attached a pic of the pen I made with it way back when.

Attachments

• _lacewood_sedona_r.jpg
    _lacewood_sedona_r.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 310
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

Just curious as I use 3/4 blanks almost excluvesly for Jr Gent 11, are the borads a true 3/4 inch.

Last edited:

Texatdurango

I got a pen order for a wood that I've not used in a VERY long time. I THOUGHT it was called Lacewood, but apparently it goes by a different name or goes by another alias. I've looked through about 10 different wood suppliers and the closest thing I can find is at woodcraft. They have Lacewood boards....no pen blanks. I would get the boards and cut them down but the thickest they have is 3/4". Not wide enough for a Jr. Gent II. I attached a pic of the pen I made with it way back when.

I have some lacewood blanks but they too are only 3/4" sq.

I've made dozens and dozens of Jr Gent pens from 3/4" square blanks with no problems, are you sure about your measurements?

MorganGrafixx

True, 3/4" is thick enough to make a Jr. Gent 2 with, but if I have to order the stock and wait for it to ship, I'd rather have a blank that I'm less likely to screw up on the press. Nothing will make you turn your skew into a javelin faster that destroying the only blank or kit of something that you had to wait on for a week or more only to mess it up and know that a replacement is at least another week away. If all I can get is 3/4", then I will go with that. But I figured it would be easy to find the 1" (or 7/8") blanks as easily as I van for every other blank I have used.

jttheclockman

The pen you are showing does not look like lacewood. More like white oak. But photos are decieveing. 3/4" is plenty big enough. You can buy 2" X 2" turning squares from woodcraft also. Cut them to size.

Last edited:

USAFVET98

Yeah Scott, I'd say white oak or they even have a "Lacey white oak". I have a few pieces if you can't find any. I wish you woulda asked before I shipped your package! Lol

Wildman

I am not sure your pen made with Lace /Leopard wood.

Would recommend you let any wood or Lace/Leopard you buy hang out awhile before turning a pen.

I know one vendor link states their Lace/leopard wood as dry. Where do you live and where does that vendor live and what is the annual relative humidity for both places? Wood does lose and gain moisture content with changes in relative humidity.

I am not one to talk or mention any names, but a thread started by you knows who titled "How dry wood got to be?" Should answer any questions you might have.

hdtran

Attachments

• leopardwood_resized.jpg
    leopardwood_resized.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 117
Top Bottom