Help with Mammoth Ivory

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

OKLAHOMAN

Just got back from a show and picked this up. Its 8 inches long 1 inch deep at its narrowest and 1 1/8 wide. The crack starts 3 inches into the tusk and the left over on the sides are approx 5 inch x 1/2 x 5/8. My question is what speed drilling and how long do I hold my breath while drilling:D. The Emperor is to sho<s>e</s>w the size. I also picked up a display case to die for and will take a picture tomorrow.

200710220360_DSCF00091.jpg

Edited for spelling

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Max

Drill slow with a sharp bit----avoid any heat---keep the drill bit clean----Stay under 600 rpm's. I would drill it in steps.
The crack----do some work on that before you drill---thin CA and some soft pressure from a clamp.
Roy pens like this bring the Biggggg Bucks

Russianwolf

I wish there was a better way..... the amount of waste between drilling and turning makes me want to cry.

try to save all the shavings, you might be able to come up with a way to use them for something.

OKLAHOMAN

Thanks guys, I'll e-mail Lou in the morning and get in touch with Steve, I might have found a source for mammoth ivory at a much better price than 25-30 dollars an inch. Gary do you really think thin CA and pressure would work? If it will I could get at least one Emperor and one Jr. Statesmen with some left over for CBs.And yes they do bring Big,[:p] Big[:p] bucks.....

Gary Max

Roy from here it looks like the crack is going to be part of the pen---leave it alone-- do not cut it out. It's just bone and thin CA will do a better job than anything else. I don't get ivory that big but I do work with a bunch of Antler. All my inlays are Ivory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom