Help: Laser the clip?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Grizz

Banned
Is it possible to have the clip of a Jr. Gent II laser engraved with the person's name? If so can it be done like this:

B
o
b

S
m
i
t
h

And who does it... if it can be done?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brez

I think most pens are engraved with laser engravers. Most laser engravers will not actualy engrave metal however, the metal can be coated with a substance then run through the engraver. The laser will turn the coating black where the laser hits and leave the rest it's original color. I have not used it but i understand the affect is permanent.

You could also use a mechanical engraver, one that uses a revolving bit (sort of like the tip for a Dremel). Either free hand or computer controled.

Mike

Justturnin

I have never done this but we get an ornament engraved every year and the place we do it actually Sandblasts the crystal to make a rough surface and works great. Not sure how it would treat the plating though.

Chasper

My experience with lasers is that they do not engrave reflective materials like a chrome or gold pen clip. I'm aware that there are exceptions, if the reflective material is top coated with epoxy it will burn through the epoxy and may leave it darkened from the burn.

To engrave clips I have it done by a jewler who has scratch engraving equipment like a Kingsley engraver. Having the letters stacked instead of in-line would be easy with a laser, but a total pain with a scratch engraver.

workinforwood

From my understanding, the laser is permanent. It isn't really cutting the metal, but with the chemical it's like an acid etching. That is perfect for a JR clip because it wouldn't effect the plating. If I was to cut letters into the clip with my mill, it would potentially damage the plating around the letters by chipping some off and the letters themselves would be bare metal that you could not fill without damaging the plating around them. The acid etch lasering would be the way to go for this.

glycerine

Yeah, there's some stuff called cermark I believe that does what Mike said (turns black where the laser hits). I had wolftat (Neil) do one for me and it turned out great. I know there are others, just find some of the laser guys here on the site and PM them, or you'll probably get some PMs if they are reading this... Also, mine was a cigar clip though, so it's wider. Not sure how a jr. gent clip would turn out.

Top Bottom