Help with kit choice.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

les-smith

I recieved an order today from a comercial pilot for a pen. We talked over what type he would want and this is what we came up with:
He likes the slimline pens, but thinks they are to thin. He carries the pens in a case when he is not wearing them and can't put a european in his case because they are to think. He wants a light weight pen so his shirt pocket doesn't droop when he is wearing it in his shirt pocket. Any suggestions on a kit that is similar to a slim line, but thicker yet not as thick as european? Also, what kit and what material would be the lightest to use? He would prefer some sort of figured wood. There is a lot of potential with the people he works with so I'd like to do a really nice pen. Thanks for any help. Les.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

So a 7mm Euro turned B2B won't even fit in this guy's case? The first one of those I did I turned it B2B and it was awfully thin, also really ugly. My advise would be to get hold of his case and figure out what the maximum diameter is that would work. With that you can easily make a 7mm Euro with a contrasting wood CB that will fit the required diameter. I don't personally think the type of wood is going to make all that much difference in how heavy the pen is. Make it out of Amboyna burl with an ebony or blackwood cb and it should look very attractive.

alamocdc

Maybe an Olympia. Has the Euro look, but they are about the same size as a slim.

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
2005894612_olympia_spalted_pecan.jpg
<br />

This one was tunred B2B, but I now make the bottom barrel it bit larger and leave a tenon at the cap end. Examples can be seen in my album. I also shorten the cap by 1/8" to 1/4". I think it looks better that way, but that's just me.

les-smith

The slimline will fit in his case. The pen he carries now is larger than a slimline B2B, but it is smaller than a european. He doesn't like the slimeline B2B. So I need something in between. The comfort grip sounds like a good idea because what he is carrying now has the rubber cushion. Who would sell the best/highest end comfort grip? The replies so far sound really good. I'll look over your suggestions some more and see what I think. Thanks.

Scott

Hi Les,

There are some really neat slimline variables out there that you should consider. One of my favorites is the Father Sing kit from CSUSA. It has a larger diameter centerband, so the pen ends up thicker and more substantial, and one of the tubes is longer, so it really changes the look of the pen. The streamlined slimline from Berea is another variable with the larger centerband. The streamlined roundtop is the same pen only with a round finial. There are lots of choices! You could also make your own centerband - check out my article the first year here at IAP called "Why Penturning?"

Good Luck!

Scott.

badwin

I think the Streamline which is a variable to the slimline would be nice. Here is one from Bocote that I did recently. Good luck
Brian
http://www3.telus.net/public/goodwinp

2006119215411_Bocote.jpg
<br />

DocRon

Les
Here is a photo of Bethlehem Olive Wood slimline I completed today. I almost never turn B2B. As you see, there is lots of variation possible in this basic kit. At the widest point, the pen is about 1/2'' diameter. Most of my customers like the feel of this shape and tell me the size is about right. Obviously, you could make this smaller as needed to fit in your friend's pen case.
Cheers!
Doc Ron
2006111005252_BOWaw.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom