Help! Just got to open my lathe. :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GrantH

Alright guys I got a Rikon lathe and all the things I need to turn but upon opening everything I can't find a bushing set. I was under the impression a slimline bushing set came with the mandrel, to get you started.

Can anyone confirm that it should/shouldn't come with this?

If I don't have a bushing kit, but have an extra pen kit...can I use the bushings from the pen kit? I know it will probably tear them up but I really want to turn right now! Any help is appreciated!

edit: would Lowes possibly have something suitable? I'm really itching to turn!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Bushing set with the lathe? Never heard of that sales pitch.....

Bushing sets are specific to the type pen being made...

Scott (what kind of kit and bushing set did you order) B

GrantH

I meant with the mandrel, not the lathe.

I was given a few slimline kits, but thought/was told on another forum I want to say, that when buying the mandrel it came with a slimline bushing set.

SDB777

It may have the 'spacers', but even those are a seperate purchase in most places.

The bushings need to have the inside diameter of the tube your going to put the blank on, if not....they will get 'wobbling and out-of-round'.

Scott (spacers - yes, bushing -no) B

Every mandrel I've seen came with a set of slimline bushings. Slimline bushings are just metal sleeves that slide over the mandrel. They are about 1/4" long, thin, and straight profile. You may have missed them, thinking they were just spacers. I believe I did, when I started.

It may have the 'spacers', but even those are a seperate purchase in most places.

The bushings need to have the inside diameter of the tube your going to put the blank on, if not....they will get 'wobbling and out-of-round'.

Those spacers are the slimline bushings.

soligen

The spacers are the bushings for the slimline. IF you dont have them, your Wookcraft or Rockler is where you want to try if one of those is local. They should be open today

tjseagrove

Yes, slimline bushing are the same as the spacers on the mandrel. They pull double duty. You will still want to order some extra bushings for slimline's to have on hand.

Now, get out there and TURN!!!! See you back here with an update once you get a pen made. ;). How about posting a picture in the Show off Your Pens section.

Have fun!!

Tom

GrantH

Yes, slimline bushing are the same as the spacers on the mandrel. They pull double duty. You will still want to order some extra bushings for slimline's to have on hand.

Now, get out there and TURN!!!! See you back here with an update once you get a pen made. ;). How about posting a picture in the Show off Your Pens section.

Have fun!!

Tom

I bought the pro mandrel, which only came with a small washer and knurled tightening disc. No bushings.

edit: the one I bought.... http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2001608/10989/Professional-Pen-Turning-Mandrel-2-MT.aspx

Last edited:

JimB

Here's a quick temporary solution. Take one of those 10cent stick pens and take the ink out. Take the tube and cut it to length (I use wire snips). I do this all the time for custom length spacers. They fit nicely on the mandrel I have. Important note is that they are not the right size for the final diameter of the pen but do make great spacers and you might be able to use them as temporary bushings.

wouldentu2?

put the blank between two centers and measure the ends with a dial caliper as you get close. You'll want to use the calipers anyways even when you have bushings as it gets the size to match the nib end perfectly.

scotian12

Take a 7mm brass barrel and cut it in half and use that as your spacers. Then turn your slimline barrels and use your calipers to measure the correct diameter as you get close to he end.

PenMan1

I'v got nothing. Just looked through everything a third and fourth time.

Oh well, I guess.

Just as a side thought, also look for the brass nut that fits on the end of the mandrel.

Like others here, I've never bought a mandrel that didn't have at least , 7mm bushings. They usually ship these bushings on the mandrel with the brass nut holding them in place.

If you are missing the bushings, you may not have this nut. If not, just having the bushings without the nut will still not have you ready to turn.

GrantH

Thanks everyone for the advice. I tried the barrel idea and it worked for a bit but it allows for the pen blanks to spin at times. I tried my first pen, but I went all the way through to the barrel haha. Already see that I NEED a way to sharpen my tools as well!

SDB777

Those spacers are the slimline bushings.

They never caliper out in size for my hardware? Maybe thats why I dont make a bunch of Slims??

Scott (I stand corrected....I guess) B

JimB

Thanks everyone for the advice. I tried the barrel idea and it worked for a bit but it allows for the pen blanks to spin at times. I tried my first pen, but I went all the way through to the barrel haha. Already see that I NEED a way to sharpen my tools as well!

If the tools are brand new they probably are not very sharp. Most new tools need to be sharpened or honed before using.

I don't know what your turning experience is but if this is your first time then starting with a pen blank is not recommended. Put a piece of scrap wood on your lathe between centers and start practicing by making it round.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Can't let the lathe sit unused!!!

Bushings? Take a 7mm tube from one of your pen kits, make believe you are making half a pen, drill and put the tube in a blank (if you have corian, that would be best, but maple or other hard wood will work). Once the glue has set, turn this to the size of the bushing and cut it to an appropriate length. You have MADE a bushing.

Sharpen tools?? mount a piece of sandpaper (240 grit or above) on a flat board---will easily sharpen skews. If you need to do gouges, you need to be a little more creative. Use a dowel to mount your sandpaper, work out the kinks as you sharpen.

No such thing as "CAN'T" turn!!!!

GrantH

If the tools are brand new they probably are not very sharp. Most new tools need to be sharpened or honed before using.

I don't know what your turning experience is but if this is your first time then starting with a pen blank is not recommended. Put a piece of scrap wood on your lathe between centers and start practicing by making it round.

A member was nice enough to send me some extra blanks he cut from scraps. I honestly forget what type, but it's not a "good" wood for pens; not a lot of character in the grain.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Grant,
I sent you a PM. I will be in Hattiesburg tomorrow night (Christmas night). I will have a set of 7mm bushings with me along with some pen blanks. I sent my phone number in the PM. Give me a call.

Top Bottom