help with instructions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jssmith3

Hi everyone, I am looking for some information on how to make the wood pen finials for the design/European pens. I have recently received my order of the finial screws and the mandrel but don't know what size hole to drill and how to determine the size while turning without the bushing? I have not been able to find any instructions anywhere for this information.

Janet :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Hi Janet,
I think the mandrel istself is the bushing...its diameter is the same as the finial should be. Not sure about the drill size, but I would think a bit half the size of the screw itself. The wood type threads will go into the wooden piece and the machine threads will go into the end of the mandrel and the mandrel is the size to make the finial itself. Practice on a scrap piece of wood and adjust the bit size as needed. The instructions were once on the CSUSA website but I couldn't find them on the new site.... Good luck.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by jssmith3
<br />Hi everyone, I am looking for some information on how to make the wood pen finials for the design/European pens. I have recently received my order of the finial screws and the mandrel but don't know what size hole to drill and how to determine the size while turning without the bushing? I have not been able to find any instructions anywhere for this information.

Janet :)

Narwhale

See this article at the Pen Makers Guild:

Wooden Finials by Rich Kleinhenz

http://www.penmakersguild.com/articles/woodenfinials.pdf

Rich S.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />
Originally posted by Narwhale
<br />See this article at the Pen Makers Guild:

Wooden Finials by Rich Kleinhenz

http://www.penmakersguild.com/articles/woodenfinials.pdf

Rich S.

That link froze my computer.

If clicking that link froze your computer then you might have a problem with the acrobat reader software. It might not be installed correctly to integrate with your web browser or the connection might have become "broken" somewhere along the way. It's a very common problem that can sometimes be taken care of by a reinstall of the acrobat software.

One way to check is to right click the link and save the file locally. if you can open and read it that way then the issue is with acrobat. If right clicking does not work then the issue is with your computer.
There is nothing wrong with the file or the link.

johncrane

CSUSA sells them Janet l have been playing with CSUSA unit for a while when putting in the tread make sure it goes in strait l do mine on the lathe using the Nova chuck and a drill chuck CSUSA sells the 11/64 brad drill that they recommend after using there drill bit l changed too a normal 11/64 drill with no point for acrylic and a 5/32 for wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom