help with inlace acrylesyer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OLLIEwinz

i picked up some inlace acrlyester at woodturningz the other day thinking it was acrylic acetate.iv been having some trouble cutting it with my carbide tools, anything I'm missing?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

campzeke

You should have received an instruction sheet on how to turn the inlace from Woodturninz. To turn inlace using carbide tools, I use high speed, a slow feed rate and light cuts. Turn from the center out to the ends to avoid chipping the ends. Inlace will chip out if you cut too deep or gouge it. Small chip outs can be filled with CA but once you learn to turn it that should not be necessary. It is not the easiest material to turn but is beautiful once turned and polished. Go slow and easy and I am sure you be ordering more inlace in the furutre.

eranox

would working in a cold workshop have anything to do with it?

In my experience, yes. The blanks are much more brittle and prone to chipping when they are cold. Once they warm up, they turn much more easily. I always sand them down with 80 grit sandpaper. I use this to knock the corners off of square blanks, but I still use it on round ones just to warm them up and get rid of some of the excess diameter.

Top Bottom