Help ID this wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scrofts1219

IMG_3053.JPG

I got this wood a few years ago and no one knew what it was. Tonight I took a piece and turned it to round. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hello,

if there are not realy shavings, more like dust or flour, it will be lignum vitae
Bring the blank in the sun and the color change to olivegreen

PS This wood need no finish

greetings from Germany

Brotherdale

That looks like lignum vitae. One of my favorites. Love the smell. One of my favorite pens is a Sierra made with it and just polished with no finish.

magpens

View attachment 181298

I got this wood a few years ago and no one knew what it was. Tonight I took a piece and turned it to round. Any thoughts?

If the smoothly turned piece has an oily feel to it, it is probably Lignum Vitae, although the color of the turned piece is not quite what I'd expect from my experience with turning many dozens of Lignum Vitae pieces.

Also, the surface of the unturned piece does not look quite right for LV.

The LV that I have turned produced, not dust, but whitish rather small shavings.

With LV, you don't have to apply a finish ... just turn smooth and buff.

Last edited:

Dehn0045

For wood ID it is helpful to provide as much information as possible: photo of sanded endgrain, relative density and hardness (compare to known stock that you have on hand), any unique features like odor or oily, and where and how the wood was acquired.

With only the information provided, the turned piece does look like lignum vitae or verawood. But the rough blank doesn't.

Top Bottom