Help ID wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

Is this curly red oak?
It seems to have the curly pattern but there is not a lot of the large waves going across the whole board. It is 3/4" thick and about 5" wide.
I was going to cut this for a piece of shelving but after looking at the edge, I'm wondering if it would make a nice blank.

Attachments

• cro1.jpg
    cro1.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 139
  • cro2.jpg
    cro2.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 119
  • cro3.jpg
    cro3.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 124
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NittanyLion

Dale,

I would say 99% yes. Judging by the rays and grain, it's red oak. If you had a very close shot of the end grain, it would help.....but judging from the pic it definitely comes from the red oak family.

Dale Allen

Steve. I took some pics of the end grain dry and some after wetting it with some mineral spirits. Also a side grain wetted.
It has the telltale signs in the pore structure similar to curly red oak from the pictures I could find on the web.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Attachments

• cro4.jpg
    cro4.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 149

NittanyLion

Steve. I took some pics of the end grain dry and some after wetting it with some mineral spirits. Also a side grain wetted.
It has the telltale signs in the pore structure similar to curly red oak from the pictures I could find on the web.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, red oak....very defined open pores.

NittanyLion

I say go for it Dale......definitely too nice for a shelf. Most of my curly wood is used for decal pens and bullet pens....curly oak and maple is a little bland compared to burl wood, but still very appreciable to many. I will also add some stain or dye sometimes to highlight the figure. It would probably make a nice cigar blank as well. Hey, If you're really not sure what to do, just pack it up and send it my way:)

Dale Allen

I decided to cut a slice off at a 45 degree angle and turn it round.
Sanded it down, wiped it with mineral spirits and gave it a single coat of medium CA.
It's not what I expected it to look like. It's kinda boring!:cool:

Attachments

• cro5.jpg
    cro5.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 111

Dale Allen

Another with a slice cut along the grain.
I can see some figuring but it is nothing to write home about.:cool:

Attachments

• cro6.jpg
    cro6.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 93

low_48

Teat the wood with sanding sealer to seal the pores and apply your favorite color dye. Finish with CA.

Do what to the wood? Funny typo!!!!!

You can also use an acrylic paint like a grain filler in that open grain. Sand it back off and you get a real nice splash of color. Some will use a color wax after finishing, but I like to use colors like bright red and blue to fill the grain.

Top Bottom