Help ID and diagnose kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
My BIL brought me this pen I made him last year because it's not working. I don't remember what kit it is and I don't have any in my inventory to compare it with to find out why it's not working.
1_P1040118_edited.jpg

It comes apart easily and will not extend the refill. If I take it apart and turn the transmission it works fine, so the problem is in the upper barrel.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Yes, that's the problem. I disassembled the top and tried the transmission holder by itself and it works, when I put it back in the top without the center band on it also works. Apparently I didn't part off enough for the center band and it's preventing the top from fully engaging the transmission. Without the center ban the pen works fine, put the band on and it stops working. Funny that it took ten months to stop working.

George7

There is a brass insert in the top of the Perfect Fit pen that grips the top of the transmission. The instructions say to press it in flush with the top of the tube. It is possible to press it in a little farther so that it will grip the transmission better. You just have to leave it close enough for the stud on the finial to reach it.

JohnU

My guess is the upper barrel is too long. Ive run into this problem with some classic twists from PSI. I just tapped the top off the upper barrel and then took a 1/16 off the length with a barrel trimmer and put the top cap back in and tested it. It took me a couple times until i got it right but it works just fine now.

soulcutr

I believe John is right. If this is the same kit I used, make sure you trim 1/8 inch off the brass tube. on the top part of the pen. ( you might have to dissasemble and put back on the mandrel) where the center band is pressed on at. This should give your pen barrel enough clearance to meet the top fitting. I hope this helps.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
I believe John is right. If this is the same kit I used, make sure you trim 1/8 inch off the brass tube. on the top part of the pen. ( you might have to dissasemble and put back on the mandrel) where the center band is pressed on at. This should give your pen barrel enough clearance to meet the top fitting. I hope this helps.

Thank you. That was the though I had in examining the pen. Unfortunately reparing the pen is going to have to wait as I just moved and my new shop doesn't even have a place to plug my lathe in:eek: not to mention getting everything unpacked.

Top Bottom