Help I’m stuck, literally

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jb_pratt

I am a fairly new turner and I have recently run into a problem that I’m almost embarrassed to admit. Here is my dilemma, after sanding with 220, I apply a very light coat of CA to the sanded pen, turn my lathe back on sand to crate a slurry to fill any little pits and cracks. I went through the rest of my sanding regiment, applied my friction polish and let the pen sit overnight on the mandrel.

Now for my problem; I am unable to get one of the bushings off, it is glued to the end of one of the pieces. Any advice on how to get this off without destroying the pen? As a follow up question; what should use to clean off the bushings where there is a trace of CA ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Acetone will release the bushing without damaging the wood. If there's any fingernail polish remover in the house, most of it is acetone, so it's a quick way to do it. Otherwise, Lowes, Home Depot and the rest carry it for about $10 a gallon. You'll have enough to free many bushings. As for your follow up, put a little wax on your bushings and the CA won't stick.

jb_pratt

I’m a bit on the slow side, I do have fingernail polish remover in the house. Do I apply a bit to the bushing with a Q-tip, do I soak it? What is the best approach?

Sorry for the silly question, I just don’t want to damage the pen. Thanks

Gary

JB, use a Q-tip and apply the acetone to the bushing so a little will run in the joint between the bushing and the barrel. Grip the bushing with the end of a pair of needle nose pliers and rock/twist it a bit...it should break free.

Gary

Originally posted by jb_pratt
<br />That did it, thanks! Now my last question is you mentioned putting a little wax on the bushings, what type of was should I use?

Plain old Johnson's Paste Wax (Johnston's?). The paste floor wax you get at the supermarket. You can also use it on the unpainted metal surfaces of your shop tools. Or if you have some carnuba wax, it will work fine too.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Any wax will do for the bushings...candle wax would be fine. In fact, you could just rub a bar of soap across them. You just want a surface the CA won't stick to.

Another option when this happens. CA is very brittle. If you just put the end of the bushing on a hard surface and push real firmly on the point where the blank and the bushing join you can usualy just pop them off. If the bushing goes inside the brass tube then you push and turn push and turn, usually about the third push you will feel the CA give way.

Never have had to put acetone on any of the ones that I have stuck together.

Also if you stick the bushing to the arbor. Lay the bushing across a hard surface like an anvil and tap it with a hammer turn and tap, turn and tap. It will break the CA bond and come right off.

KKingery

Yep - been there before - Don't feel bad, at some point I think we've all had that same problem. It's always a good idea to keep the acetone close at hand when you're working with CA.

woodscavenger

I saw "stuck" and "CA" and "sanding slurry" and I thought for sure you had glued your hand and sandpaper to the pen. Darn, just bushing. How mundane. I needed a laugh for the night. Actually I have yet to try a CA finish but was preparing to do one tonight. Now I am one step more prepared. Thanks to all.

Pen Man

I always use CA on all my pens. I start @ 220,320, super glue then quick sand with 500, then Triple EEE, Maylands friction polish, done. Leave on the lay or take off right away. If the bushings are stuck I just use a pair of pliers on the bushing, holding the blank in the other hand, <u><b>I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM</b></u>.

G

If the Ca build up is too thick you might try a little "skewing" practice and clean of the bushing before twisting it off.
On occaisoin I have had the finish on the bushing end "chip" because it did not separate cleanly.
I purposely put a coat of CA on my busings to prevent staning the blank while snading.

jkirkb94

JB, I keep an old stick candle handy for my bushings and keep some CA remover/acetone near the lathe. I have glued my fingers together more than once. One time even to the lathe! (That was earlier in my penturning...I learn quickly[;)]) Kirk[8D]

Brent

That is a good idea Eagle, I have had trouble with staining on light color woods. I think I will try a little ca on my bushings. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom