Help on how to turn a brass blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RonSchmitt

Hi All,
I have 2 brass spikes from an 1859 shipwreck. They are JUST large enough to turn into a slimline.
I have been staring at them in my shop for a year trying to get up the guts to drill and turn them, and as I am only going to get 1 shot at this, any and all tips, hints, ideas, and/or warnings would be greatly appreciated.
I have turned aluminum blanks with a carbide tipped chisel and am planning on using that for the brass. OR, just use a lot of sandpaper and shape it that way.:confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

Ron, can you post pics of the pieces.

My first reaction would be to make the pen in such a way as to showcase the heritage of the items, instead of losing all concept of what they were to begin with. Meaning, if you just drill and turn, it will look like any old brass turning, all the character and patina will be turned away in the process.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
150 year old spikes will have more interest and value than a pen turned from them. Once turned, they are just another piece of brass and no different from stock you bought at the local metals warehouse.

bitshird

150 year old spikes will have more interest and value than a pen turned from them. Once turned, they are just another piece of brass and no different from stock you bought at the local metals warehouse.

I agree with Russ, turn them, and although may know what they were before, I doubt if any one will have a sense of what they were originally.

RonSchmitt

Agreed, but this pen is for the diver that recovered it, I have made pens (and 1 set of darts) for him and his crew from 3 different wrecks.

VERY interesting to work with some of the wood he has sent me.

Top Bottom