HELP!! How do you sand?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

curlymaplefan

I am using a rattlesnake blank and I just can'nt get the acrylic to sand clear.... I started with 400 grit and worked up and just stopped
at 4000mm and there is milky spots..it just wouldn't clear up.....

Any help would be appreciated

Jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I always wet sand to 12000mm followed by Maguier's (sp) antiswirl compound followed by pure carnuba. You probably need to sand higher.

Gentleben

I never had trouble with it not sanding clear, but I did find that if I used a sharp skew it did not need to be sanded as much.

Martha

OKLAHOMAN

Same as Mannie, except after 12000mm I follow with Brasso,then Maquier's then TSW (Trade secret for wood).

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Same as Manny.

But even at 4000 you should have a nice even haze like a semi-gloss, not any "spotting". Spotting means you have either a bad blank (and the spots are below the PR) or you didn't sand it smooth at your courser grits so the 4000 is hitting the peaks and the valleys are staying at the rougher grits.

Pictures would help in the diagnostics.

GK

Hello

I'm with all of the above comments....BUT.....there could be another factor at play.
Its possible that who ever made the blank didn't use enough hardener in their recipe....in that case, it won't clear at all. A friend of mine recently had this issue with blanks he'd purchased.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Auto buffing polish. You can find it and/or things like it at your local autoparts place. Maguires is one brand. Turtlewax is another (arguably lower quality).

Rubbing compound is the "roughest". Think Red polishing rouge.
Polishing compound is "medium". Think White polishing rouge.
Swirl remover is the "wooohoooo look at that shine". :D
And then a touch of a high quality, NON-CLEANING wax to make it so fingerprint show up less.

GK

Top Bottom