HELP!! How do I repair this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

THarvey

I need some suggestions on how to repair this. A customer brought this Baron in for repair.

It appears, to me, that the cap may have been over tightened. The tube is split at the end and the resin cracked in the direction of the cap thread.

I need some suggestions for the brain trust here. How can I repair this pen?

Thank you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 396
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Never had much luck repairing snake skin blanks when this happens. My best guess would be using the thinnest CA you can find and see if you can wick some into the cracks. It may (or not) work. Thin will wick into the cracks...ever glued bushings to a blank?

If that chip can be removed you may be able to slowly fill the void with drops of med CA and build up the void.

Or, remove the chip and have the blank recast to replace the removed chip.

Maybe someone else will have a solution.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

I need some suggestions on how to repair this. A customer brought this Baron in for repair.

It appears, to me, that the cap may have been over tightened. The tube is split at the end and the resin cracked in the direction of the cap thread.

I need some suggestions for the brain trust here. How can I repair this pen?

Thank you.

Dale Allen

Looks like a scrap to me. You could remove the rest of the hardware from that section, turn it down to the brass and cast it again or use the hardware in a different blank. Any way you look at it the time and money spent will be more than it is worth....IMHO!

THarvey

That is a major OUCH ! I suspect it exceeds what is repairable , unless your customer will go for an oops band solution . Ultra thin CA might wick in and make the failure less visible , but I wouldn`t bet on it .

Oops band was my first thought. Trying to think how to repair the tube, so the split in the tube is not a future problem.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I am by no means an expert on this like Don, but I had a I had a snake blank crack similar to this. Tried thin CA but it didn't wick in far enough. So I though what the heck. I took my small high speed air grinder (a Dremel should work also) with a carbide dental tip and very carefully ground out the resin as close as I could to the skin. Then I recast the blank. It didn't come out perfect, but it was a lot better than before I started.

mick

Tim I've done both the things Don and Mannie have suggested and had varying degrees of success. I've also tried,again with some success,drilling into the crack in several places, think dremel bit here, and wicking the thin CA into the holes. This along with wicking it in at the crack and from the end might just have you covered. Hope this helps
one

THarvey

Here is the repair!!!

Turned down section on each end. Added a couple Mesquite bands. Reversed the direction of the scales on the reassembly, to move cracked tube section away from nib.

Now instead of the Diamond Back crawling out of his pocket, it is crawling into his pocket.

What you think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Top Bottom