Help, which glue to use for antler?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

joeyh

I'm getting ready to glue up an order of 5 deer antler pens. I looked for past forums on this, and didn't find what I was looking for. So what I'm wondering is this... is CA,epoxy,or polyurathane better? I'm leaning twards the poly due to its ability to expand into the pith, and fill it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I glue in all tubes with two part epoxy and finish all pens with CA, (except for maybe plastics). If the marrow in the center is very porous, PU glue will foam into the spaces and be unsightly. If you turn into the marrow, you will need to fill it with CA, let it dry, and continue turning. Good luck and show us the final results.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by joeyh
<br />I'm getting ready to glue up an order of 5 deer antler pens. I looked for past forums on this, and didn't find what I was looking for. So what I'm wondering is this... is CA,epoxy,or polyurathane better? I'm leaning twards the poly due to its ability to expand into the pith, and fill it.

G

Ca for everything with no problems.
Sometimes the pith can be porous and I'll coat the inside with thin,plug the tube with parafin and use medium or thick.
I don't like waiting time for other glues to set up and have never had a problem with CA.

dougle40

Thanks Anthony ,
I've been watching this thread because I'll be trying some antler pens shortly and I , like you , use PU exclusively and a couple of the other answers were against PU .

joeyh

Thank you everyone for your imput. I decided to go with the CA due to time constraints. I think that I'll try the poly next time to see if it will fill in some of the pith.
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom