help with glue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alondon

I made an acrylic pen and got some CA glue on the plastic and can't get it off with acetone and this made the problem worse. I want to get it off and retain a polish-- the pen is assembled
Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Man that's a bummer, been there and done that. I too tried to "fix" them but the reality is, take it apart and resand and refinish is all I ever came up with. If it's a slimline you may have to lose the transmission but you can buy a small bag of those for maybe $5 at WoodTurningz. If it's any other kit you can disassemble and save all of the parts. If the blank is really special it is worth the time and effort. The only positive I have found in doing this is, I learn how to take 'em apart and salvage them. I frequently will disassemble a pen that hasn't sold for a couple of years, turn the blank material off the tubes and make a different pen from the pieces/parts of the old one. Hope you can salvage the one you are dealing with.
WB

Mark

If the acetone does not work, I'd bite the bullet and dis-assemble the pen. Refinish the body and then assemble it again. If it's worth making the first time, it's definitely worth trying to save it. Plus it's all good education.

There was a tip posted sometime back on removing a tranny and "hopefully" saving it.
Here is a link: http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62495
I hope that applies to your situation. Good Luck

randyrls

I made an acrylic pen and got some CA glue on the plastic and can't get it off with acetone and this made the problem worse. I want to get it off and retain a polish-- the pen is assembled
Help

Andy; the best suggestion is to disassemble the pen. Use a set of transfer punches to push out the assembled fittings. Then re-sand and re-finish. Pretty much what Wood Butcher said.

What kit is it?

Polarys425

I agree with the suggestion of disassembly. I have a set of (punches?, not sure of their origin, they were in my late fathers tool boxes) that i use to disassemble mine. I have a set of rubber jaws for my vise that i lock my pen part in, and use the punches to remove the nib, and then the tranny.

Attachments

• SSC_0023.JPG
    SSC_0023.JPG
    215.9 KB · Views: 104

Chthulhu

I agree with the suggestion of disassembly. I have a set of (punches?, not sure of their origin, they were in my late fathers tool boxes) that i use to disassemble mine. I have a set of rubber jaws for my vise that i lock my pen part in, and use the punches to remove the nib, and then the tranny.

Those are transfer punches.

Polarys425

Those are transfer punches.

Thanks for the verification, I kinda thought they might be.... but wasn't sure. Theres still one more complete set in one of his tool boxes that i'll have to bring back with me on my next trip to see my mom.

Last edited:

PenMan1

I have a stupid question... wont the accetone eat the pr?

In a word, yes!
I've saved several acrylic pens (that i botchrd before I learned that CA should never be used to secure plated hardware) by soaking in DNA.

The problem with disassembly and resanding is that if the pen WAS properly sized, the new result will be undersized. Undersizing is hard go fix when working with acrylic.

Last edited:

hdtran

I have a stupid question... wont the accetone eat the pr?

In a word, yes!
I've saved several acrylic pens (that i botchrd before I learned that CA should never be used to secure plated hardware) by soaking in DNA.

The problem with disassembly and resanding is that if the pen WAS properly sized, the new result will be undersized. Undersizing is hard go fix when working with acrylic.

DNA: Denatured Alcohol.

It will also soften acrylic resin, by the way. But maybe you'll be lucky, and it will soften the CA (cyanoacrylate, which is a type of acrylic polymer) more than the acrylic (typically poly methyl methacrylate. I can spell it, but I can't pronounce it!).

Top Bottom