Help with fixing a mistake?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Signguy

A few hours ago I completed a Big Ben (PSI) Cigar pen. It was the first time I have made this specific kit.

Everything came off the lathe perfectly, but then I got a little mixed up assembling the pen and after putting it all together realized that the top tube was reversed and so it is not the right diameter where it has to match up to the cap final and the center piece.

What I am having trouble with is how to disassemble it without damaging anything. It looks like I need to first take off the clip/final part using the correct size rodt, and then I will be able to use a different size rod to get the center ring off.

I have the disassembly rods and can get the right size one up through the tube, but I totally don't get how I get a can have enough of a grip on the tube so as to allow me to apply sufficient force to the rod as is required to drive the final back out. Seems like anything that holds the tube tight enough is going to risk marking or breaking the finished acrylic on it.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ChrisN

What I do when disassembling any pen is hold the barrel tightly in my hand, place the disassembly rod inside, and hit the rod with a hammer. The barrel slips out of my hand gradually, so I just re-adjust my hold on the blank, and continue "persuading" the piece out with the hammer until it comes out. Close to the end, I tend to hold the barrel at the bottom with my hand around the piece being removed so it doesn't fly across the shop floor when it pops out.

1080Wayne

It is usually possible to just hold it in your hand , while applying light taps with a hammer to the punch . A glove with some grip on it might help . A Vise grip like tool with plastic coated jaws is also available .

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
My Process: Hold the tube firmly and smack it down on the disassembly rod. No magic here! It will be a dice roll on damage. Play with how much firmness you need to hold, how much force smacking it down, etc...

Others may have a better system... As a newer pen turner... I've had to do this a "few" times the last few years... (a learning opportunity!).

Be well!!

Acelectric

I disassembled my first pen a few days ago. I found that using a piece of shelf liner helped to hold onto the blank while hitting the rod with a hammer.

PenMan1

If you can find one of those rubber "jar top grippers" like the banks and insurance companies give away for opening stubborn jar lids, the gripper will make it easier to keep the pen barrel in your hand while whacking a punch with a hammer.

Last edited:

Dale Allen

I make exact fitting rods from plastic and use a small wooden mallet that I made specifically for this process.
The plastic rod helps avoid damage to the parts and the wooden mallet does not beat up the plastic rod near as much as a regular hammer.
I also hold the blank in my closed fist and give it lots of whacks.

Signguy

Thanks for all the advice. I ordered the PSI special pliers as it looks like this is the easiest way to go...and I expect a few more mistakes are likely!

TimS124

I grip the offending pen with pliers made for the job (sounds like you just ordered a pair).

Then I stuff a little piece of paper towel deep into one of the bench dog holes in my workbench. The pliers rest against the workbench, right over the plugged hole.

Insert the biggest disassembly rod that will just barely fit, and tap with the top of a wooden mallet. NOT the face - the top...the end grain area will take the wear better and you get the full mass of the mallet helping you out.

That also keeps you from swinging for the fences (like a normal mallet grip can lead to).

Light-ish taps have always quickly worked for me.

If you don't have a mallet, chuck a 2 1/2" square block, 10-12" long, into your lathe and make one. Any good hard wood will work just fine...

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Some of the "drawer liner" (kitchen accessories - ie. wal-mart, etc) fabric is great to cut to size and grip!

Top Bottom