Help With First Order...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

BogBean

Hi Everyone,
I have all the tools to start turning my first pen. Since I did not own any wood working equipment or hand tools I had to buy it all at one time. I am going to have a lot of money in that first pen...lol

Now, I need to order some pen kits. I was thinking I would start with the Slimline, Streamlined and the Father Sing. I would like to make one large order to get better pricing. Which plating do you sell the most of on these cheaper kits?
Thank you for the help I have learned a lot reading this board...Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Chuck...my thoughts have always been to buy the best you can afford and make the finest product you can. Whether your pens are for sale or are given away, you will always be proud of them that way.

PenWorks

Way to go Chuck [:)] All new tools and ready to goooooo [:D] I think my Jet lathe was white at one time.[:D]

For one stop shopping Bill at AZ Sil & Craft Supply is a good choice. It seems both of these places get a fair share of my money.

As far as finish I would go with platinum, gold Ti & black Ti or 10K, they seem to be the most durable. Platinum sells good gor me.

I like your idea to get a variety, especially the larger pens. They are easier to turn, show off the wood allot better, especially if you get some nice blanks, and you will get a better return on your money and time.

Won't bore you any more, if you have been hanging around reading here, you got a pretty good idea.

Can't wait to see your first pen. Good luck and have fun. Anthony

jkirkb94

Chuck, I second Anthony's suggestions. I have had great luck with Bill and also with Craft Supply. You might try a few of the pens you are interested in and also look at the instructions on some of the web sites like Craft Supply, Woodcraft, Penn State Industries and see what ones you think you can do at this time. Kirk[8D]

Brent

It seems that most people start with slimlines, My opinion would be to start with some 10k. you might look at woodTurningz. They have several colors and no minimum. Good luck and we all know that one pen is all it takes. you will be hook like the rest of us.

wayneis

Chuck there are some large body pen kits that in my opinion are easier to turn than a slimline. I've never quite understood why most everyone starts with the slimline kits. Any kit with straight lines and do not require a tenon is a pretty easy pen to make. The regular El Grande or the Ligero are both like that. In my personal opinion, I would only use the 10K gold kit and above, I know that there are some that disagree but thats my opinion and they have their's. If you call Bill Baumbeck at AS he has a video he made that is worth every single penny of the twenty dollars that he getts for it, you won't be sorry. Also he has some very good sales and hhe has the best deals on slimlines at $1.49 each with no minimum if thats what you want.

Have fun and welcome to our addiction, or as Alice Cooper would say..."Welcome to my nightmare"

Wayne

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Chuck,
You can get a lot of mileage from the SlimLine pen kit. Take a look at my website for instructions on making the basic SlimLine and 3 other pens that you can make from the same kit. Website address is below name in the signature block.

Gary

The reason so many people start with slimline pens is because they call Berea or CSUSA like I did, and are told to start with them. The guy I talked to was adamant..."don't even think about starting with anything else". Yeah right, then try turning two perfect cylinders for barrels when you are new to turning. I agree with wayne...some of the larger pens are easier. And they sure are prettier [:p].

KKingery

I think alot of people start with slimlines, as in my case - they were included in the starter kit that came with my lathe. Don't sell the slimline short - you can have alot of fun doing variations from the plain old straight barrel. I make and sell ALOT of slimlines, and they never have 2 straight barrels. Slimlines are cheap, and you don't lose alot of money if you do screw one up. I just delivered an order of 15 slimlines today, and none of them had the same shapes. Don't get me wrong - there's nothing wrong with El Grande kits, etc....I just found it easy to learn on slimlines. (Just my 2 cents worth) - Thanks

Carole in VA

Chuck,
One thing you might consider is WHO the pens are being made for. Men seem to like beefier pens and the ladies I have talked to like the lighter, smaller pens like the slimlines, both because of the feel in their smaller hands and the fact that they can carry them stuffed in their checkbook (cringe...guess that means I better have a rock hard finish on those slimlines!)

Fred in NC

Quite true, Carole. However, women don't seem to go for a plain straight barrel. A little curve adds a lot of appeal and makes it look more custom made. Just my experience.

Carole in VA

Originally posted by Fred in NC
<br />Quite true, Carole. However, women don't seem to go for a plain straight barrel. A little curve adds a lot of appeal and makes it look more custom made. Just my experience.
Oh yeah...they like the curves, as long as they fit thru that little loop in their checkbook![;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom