Help finding thread size

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
if no one can help you that has them I can measure them for you. OR you could buy a thread gage and measure them yourself. Use digital calipers to find the diameter and the thread gage to determine the pitch. I have both a metric and imperial (inch) gage.

plantman

I agree with Mike on how to measure your threads, problem is most gauges only measure even numbers. 7m 9mm etc. I find that a lot of threads are 9.50mm 9.75mm 8.3mm 8.4mm and their pitch is 24 28 36. Unless you buy a more expensive thread guage like a Starret, your guage will not measure these oddball sizes. If your making a kitless pen you can make the threads whatever you have on hand. If your tring to match a kit, close may be as good as it gets. Not the exact answer to your question, but it may take away some of the frustration of newer turners tring to figure out the size and pitch of their kits. Jim S

Last edited:

Ambidex

Does anyone know what the thread size is for the twist mech like these:

Twist Mechanism - LeRoi

Any help would be greatly appreciated! If needed I can ship one to someone that could measure them.

Thanks!

I have a mechanism and a friend that owns a machine shop. Will take the mech with me and check with him...sure he can figure it out. Will get back with you later today Jonathon....George

Ambidex

ooops

Well Jonathon...the best they could do was guess...7mm and approx. 52 threads per inch. He thought the closest tap and die would be in the 7mm x.4 or 7mm x .5 range...then he looked at me and scowled "we're not jewelers":biggrin: best I could do...good luck!

Brooks803

Well Jonathon...the best they could do was guess...7mm and approx. 52 threads per inch. He thought the closest tap and die would be in the 7mm x.4 or 7mm x .5 range...then he looked at me and scowled "we're not jewelers":biggrin: best I could do...good luck!

Thanks for asking! I think I have a 7x.5 that I can try out.

Top Bottom