Help finding the right pen kit.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Zatmando

Salutations everyone. I'm new to the forums and to pen making. I'm in the research phase of getting into the hobby. I don't have all the proper tools yet to start but my neighbor has a lathe so I was looking to make a few pens. Mainly I wanted to make my wife 2 pens for our upcoming anniversary but I'm having a tough time finding the "right" kit. For her job she has to use blue ink, and she prefers click, rollerball pens, with fast dry time. I have found a few click kits like the Gatsby from PennStatePens, but it seems I can only get black ink for it.

Would anyone be able to point me into the right direction. Also I was going to purchase the bushings and mandrels for the kit I purchase, is that a good move for a beginner?

Lastly we live in SW FL, she is a title agent so I wanted to do a beach themed blank, like drift wood, sand, or something similar, but as I'm reading it seems that there is a lot more involved in making your own blanks. To start would it be recommended to purchase blanks instead.

Thank you for your time and look forward to any advice.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dr_N

Salutations everyone. I'm new to the forums and to pen making. I'm in the research phase of getting into the hobby. I don't have all the proper tools yet to start but my neighbor has a lathe so I was looking to make a few pens. Mainly I wanted to make my wife 2 pens for our upcoming anniversary but I'm having a tough time finding the "right" kit. For her job she has to use blue ink, and she prefers click, rollerball pens, with fast dry time. I have found a few click kits like the Gatsby from PennStatePens, but it seems I can only get black ink for it.

Would anyone be able to point me into the right direction. Also I was going to purchase the bushings and mandrels for the kit I purchase, is that a good move for a beginner?

Lastly we live in SW FL, she is a title agent so I wanted to do a beach themed blank, like drift wood, sand, or something similar, but as I'm reading it seems that there is a lot more involved in making your own blanks. To start would it be recommended to purchase blanks instead.

Thank you for your time and look forward to any advice.
Try ExoticBlanks.com, they are members on the forum and are great to work with. Here is a link to one of their Sierra click pens (similar to a Gatsby) that can be purchased with a blue ink refill for a small extra fee.

https://www.exoticblanks.com/Sierra-Elegant-Click-Two-Tone-Chrome-Nib.html

They also have blanks that may fit your needs. You can make your own, but getting set up for that could be a lot to undertake before you get a lathe and tools of your own.

Order the bushings with the kit(s), it's easier in my opinion to start out that way. The other option would be to use calipers to measure the end of the blank as you approach your final shape and size to be sure it will match up with the metal hardware.

Chief TomaToe

I do not intend to show favoritism towards any vendors, but there are some such as Exotic Blanks that allow you to upgrade a pen kit to different ink refills such as the blue ink. That way, you don't have to buy the pen kit AND the refills that you want.

I would recommend purchasing the mandrel saver system, which helps me out well as a beginner. Plus, you will have to purchase the bushings to a kit that you have never made before. Of course, I would verify anything you purchase will interface with your neighbor's lathe.

If you check out the vendors on this site, you will find a nearly endless variety of different pen blanks to choose from. Sometimes it's overwhelming!

RileyD

You can usually just buy different color refills for any kit. The Gatsby Click uses a Parker Style refill. If you just google "blue parker style refill" you'll find refills that would work for you.

Since you are a new turner you'll need a mandrell. You use the same one no matter what pen you turn. Ask your buddy if his lathe is a Morse Taper 2 that's the important bit you need to know in order to buy one.
For a pen kit that's new to you, you'll need a set of bushings, and probably the correct size drill bits.

There aren't a ton of different click pen kits. I've heard good things about the Tempest Click Ballpoint at Signature Pen Supply, but I haven't made one myself. Stay away from the Stratus Click kit, the mechanism just feels cheap and breaks easy.

Definitely buy blanks when you are starting out. Making your own blanks is a whole nother thing you probably don't want to deal with.
Also, don't leave making the pens until the last minute. I screwed up some stuff when I first started and that's just kind of part of the learning curve. Give yourself enough
extra time to reorder a blank or replacement tubes or whatever.

One more thing...
You'll probably need to buy some other stuff in order to do this, depends on if your buddy is set up to make pens or not. So, pick out a kit and a blank. Then throw up another post asking for what else you need, before you go spending any money.

Last edited:

cseymour

I would also recommend ExoticBlanks and I have had good luck with their LeRoi click pens (similar to the Gatsby look). Another click pen to check out is the Compson.

Good luck and be forewarned, it may start as a hobby ....

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

magpens

I support the kit suggestion of Dr_N.

The Sierra (Elegant) in Chrome has some nice embellishments that make it very attractive. . Get the one Dr_N suggested.
In my experience it is one of the best available.

I support another suggestion that you leave yourself lots of time.

When you are starting out, many unexpected things can crop up and you need to allow for reordering, or ordering addional items you didn't think of.

At this stage of your pen making "career" you should indeed order bushings when you order the kit and also a suitable mandrel. Also make sure you have a live center for the lathe ... check with your neighbor.

Order at least two kits and also some extra tubes.

As for a blank .... you have almost infinite choices but don't plan to make your own at this stage.

Finally .... Welcome to IAP !!

As a newcomer, you should make a short post in the Introductions Forum. Doing so, your name will be entered in a prize-drawing for newbies !

And the final "finally" ... don't mix the terms "rollerball" and "click" ... each term has its own specific meaning. A rollerball does not come in a click version.

If it is a click pen your wife wants, you can't go wrong with the one suggested.
A rollerball is a different animal and needs to be capped to keep the ink fresh and to avoid ruining your clothes.

Last edited:

gtriever

Mal has pretty much summed it up. Good advice. IAP is a very friendly site, so don't hesitate to ask questions. Oh, I almost forgot - WELCOME!

LouCee

For her job she has to use blue ink, and she prefers click, rollerball pens, with fast dry time. I have found a few click kits like the Gatsby from PennStatePens, but it seems I can only get black ink for it.

If your wife has a pen she is currently using that has ink that she likes, take a look at the refill to see what style it is and who made it. If it is a Parker style refill you should be able to find the same thing to put in a Sierra or Gatsby or whatever you decide on.

Top Bottom